Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Landscape Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/)
-   -   House on the Hill (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/house-hill-20999/)

Jack Nickelless Feb 24, 2004 1:50 AM

House on the Hill

I did so much post adjusting on this as far as saturation, sharpening, curves, levels, brightness, noise reduction, and some minor cloning objects out, that I'm wondering if I should have put it in Digital Art. Anyway, I know it's not that good, but considering it was handheld from a quarter mile away, it's not that bad.
http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v...n_the_Hill.jpg

Jack Nickelless Feb 24, 2004 4:03 AM

Well, I decided it needed something in that empty space at the top right, so I added a moon from a different shot I took. It was handheld also, and a whole lot farther than a quarter mile. :wink: Now I know for sure I should have posted in Digital Art.....Too late now.....Sorry!
http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v..._with_Moon.jpg

Darrell1 Feb 24, 2004 8:17 AM

Very nice images. I noticed on the last image, you brightened some of the vegetation. It needed that.

Nice job. Who ever owns that house, I'm sure they would love a print of it.

Darrell

PeterP Feb 24, 2004 8:28 AM

:) nice work.

:twisted: My twisted side shows up, I'd add some mist or fog, make the lighting a bit more erie, maybe add some bats. and you could call it :) house on haunted hill :) :twisted:

One of these days I'm going to have to try that "mystical Lighting" or "mystical tint, tone and color" effects package from autoFX

Jack Nickelless Feb 24, 2004 11:59 AM

Darrell, thanks for the comments. I have to be honest and tell you that I'm not very good with photoshop yet. I still don't have a grasp on how layers work. Even though I have managed to use layers in the past and finally get the effect I was wanting ( after much struggling ) I didn't use layers to add the moon in this pic. I just cut and pasted it in paint. I then used photoshop to blend the sky color around it to match the sky color in the house pic. Then to get it to look right, I brightened the whole picture, and I agree with you. It needed it. Of course I didn't realize it needed it until I did it and saw how much better it looked compared to the other pic.

Peter, I appreciate your comments as well. Those sure are some good creative ideas you have. Like I was telling Darrell though, I'm not that good with photoshop, so even though I'd like to try some of your suggestions, I would surely louse things up. You sure got me interested in looking for that autoFX package though.

bcoultry Feb 24, 2004 12:53 PM

Jack, I think you did one heck of a good job. Sure, you mucked about with it digitally, but so what? You ended up with a well-composed, fun picture to look at.

It's an odd thing about layers in Photoshop. It takes a while to visualize what's really going on with them. For me, the light bulb lit when I saw them in my mind as sheets of transparent film laid over the background. I tried this image on my husband because he's having fits with layers. It just didn't work for him. :(

AutoFX's Mystical Lighting can be downloaded in demo mode. You can't use your own photos to test the plug-in. You're forced to use the pictures they've supplied, doubtless hand picked to work well. This ploy turned me off so badly that I decided to continue doing my lighting effects the long way around.

Jack Nickelless Feb 24, 2004 12:53 PM

Oh yeah, Darrell. I meant to mention, I'd be happy to make a print for the folks that own this house, but I don't know who owns it. It's not a simple matter of going and knocking on the door. That house is way up a very steep hill, and from my vantage point, there's nothing but lake and river between me and the house. So, since I don't have a boat, I would have to drive several miles in either direction to be able to cross the river, and once there, I would have no idea how I would get to that house.

Jack Nickelless Feb 24, 2004 1:02 PM

Thank you very much, Barbara. I think layers surely can't be that tuff. It's just a matter of getting in there and doing it, looking at some tutorial sites and learning. I just have trouble spending enough time on things long enough to learn sometimes. Seems like I just can't concentrate on one thing before I'm wanting to do something else. I use to be able to pick up things very quickly. Seems like my mind is cluttered up most of the time. I think my processor's shot. :lol:

PeterP Feb 24, 2004 1:17 PM

That's what has held me up as well, I would have prefered if they disabled save&print and let you try on your own images. Rather expensive for a plugin if they don't do what you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcoultry
AutoFX's Mystical Lighting can be downloaded in demo mode. You can't use your own photos to test the plug-in. You're forced to use the pictures they've supplied, doubtless hand picked to work well. This ploy turned me off so badly that I decided to continue doing my lighting effects the long way around.

chuck biddinger Feb 24, 2004 9:23 PM

Jack.... Great work. I bet the owner would love the photo, if you could get to his/her house.