Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Landscape Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/)
-   -   Mountain-Panorama From Austria (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/mountain-panorama-austria-165227/)

maggo85 Jan 25, 2010 1:16 PM

Mountain-Panorama From Austria

3 Attachment(s)
Seeing Walter's sensational seascapes and panoramas really inspired me to get up and give it a try :)

My first try was at the blue-hour not far away from where I took these pictures - but the results came out not as good as I expected...

Then I started a second try in the late-afternoon in Innsbruck (that's where I work) - I wanted to make a panorama over the roofs of the city, but did it handheld, so the result was not really straight :)

After that (and with all the tips and informations from Walter and you other folks in my mind) I gave it another try on Saturday morning. I wanted to show you how it looks like where I live - therefore I climbed up on a viewing platform a view minutes away from my house (you can see my mum standing up there on this shot).

I had my photobag and my tripod with me - when I arrived on top of the hill I was nearly dead (I'm more a couch-potatoe, you know), but the view was worth the trouble ;)

After all I set up my tripod, set the camera to AV with f11 and did a view test shots with manual focus and centre-weight-measure (?) - when I finally found the right exposure, I started shooting my panorama shots... The whole panorama is made out of 8 single HDR's - every HDR was made out of 3 shots with Photomatix Pro.

Enough said, I hope you enjoy the impressive view as much as I did:

Attachment 147718

#1: The left side of the panorama - the city (OK, it has only 10,000 inhabitants) you see here is called Imst, if somebody want's to look that up on Google Earth :)

Attachment 147719

#2: And the right side - this big mountain is called Tschirgant, on it's bottom are Karrösten (left) and Karres (right). In the foreground (on the small hill) you see a part of Arzl (where I live) called Osterstein - this is where I grew up and my parents are still living :)

Attachment 147720

#3: Finally, the complete panorama - it's a magnificent view, don't you agree?

The 4-shot-pano's are about 21 megapixels, the 8-shot about 35 :)

If you want to, I can upload the original images (or at least bigger versions) on my dad's webspace or I can upload all (or some of) the single-HDR's here - just tell me what you want to see :)

Now you know how it looks like here in the Tyrol (the province of Austria where I live) - I hope you like my pano and please tell me what you think, what's good and what's bad ;)

BTW: I made this panorama with "Panorama Studio 2" (dont' know if it's only a german tool) - that works WAY better than the program that came with my camera called "PhotoStitch"!

Hards80 Jan 25, 2010 1:42 PM

this is really nice panorama. the layering of the elements gives it very much a 3-dimensional feel. and there is a ton of detail in these shots. this is something you should print out really big and just enjoy it. very well done, best thing i have seen from you. you really nailed this one.

shoturtle Jan 25, 2010 1:42 PM

very very nice!

Walter_S Jan 25, 2010 3:05 PM

Ohh WOW! I love it!

Hello Marcus!

You really did a splendid job here with this mega-panorama. I am really impressed by what you have learned in such a short time. Not only is such a big panorama a complicated stitch, but to make it HDR first and then panorama, takes a lot of thought and a lot of work, as well.

I am delighted to see all the mountains and the town of Imst (calling it city is a bit over the top) in the sunshine there, is a great experience for me.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/at...x_pp_small.jpg

I love to see these mountains again, some of the I have climbed as a young boy.
Let's see if I can remember - from left to right: Laggers (?), Muttekopf, Plattain, Heiterwand and Mieminger-Kette is what we see? And of course the foot of Tschirgant down there on the right.

Also, the magnificent Tschirgant in picture # 2 and a small peek down the Inn-valley.

Thank you maggo85 / Marcus!
:D

P.S.: I am surprised how little snow (almost nothing at all!) there is in Austria! There should be at least 1 meter now, all the way down to Brennbichl...

Walter_S Jan 25, 2010 3:14 PM

Request:

P.S.: As I do have a special interest in these pictures / panoramas - I really would like all of it - in two panoramas - as you have divided them here - and each of the different panels to download, so that I can scrutinize everything in detail!

:)

Torgny Jan 25, 2010 6:29 PM

Marcus,

It's said that works of art is 90% sweat and 10% talent :). Well, I'm not so sure about that. You obviously equally both have equal talent and the will to work with pictures to achieve the result you desire. Brilliant photographs

Can only imagine an evening variation:

"Über alle Gipfeln ist Ruh" (J.W. von Goethe)

Torgny

Had to do a check

Wandrers Nachtlied

Über allen Gipfeln
ist Ruh,
in allen Wipfeln
spürest du
kaum einen Hauch;
die Vögelein schweigen im Walde,
warte nur, balde
ruhest du auch!

shoturtle Jan 25, 2010 6:34 PM

Goethe was from Frankfurt ;)

Torgny Jan 25, 2010 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoturtle (Post 1044295)
Goethe was from Frankfurt ;)

shoturtle,

Jepp. I know. Shall we ask Marcus to make his best translation to English of this wonderful, a bit sad, piece of poetry

//T

shoturtle Jan 25, 2010 6:49 PM

Over all the Hilltop is calm.
In all the treetop you hardly a breath of air.
The little birds fall silent in the woods.
Just wait, soon you will als be at rest.

The I may has lost some in the translation. ;)

maggo85 Jan 26, 2010 4:08 AM

First, I want to thank you all for your great response - I'm glad you like my work, because I love that pano :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hards80 (Post 1044177)
...this is something you should print out really big and just enjoy it. very well done, best thing i have seen from you. you really nailed this one.

Thanks Dustin - I think I could print that one REALLY big and put it on my roof so you can see it from plane ;)

Feels good to hear such kind words from a experienced photographer like you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoturtle (Post 1044178)
very very nice!

Thank you too, shoturtle :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter_S (Post 1044206)
Hello Marcus!

You really did a splendid job here with this mega-panorama. I am really impressed by what you have learned in such a short time. Not only is such a big panorama a complicated stitch, but to make it HDR first and then panorama, takes a lot of thought and a lot of work, as well.

I am delighted to see all the mountains and the town of Imst (calling it city is a bit over the top) in the sunshine there, is a great experience for me.

I love to see these mountains again, some of the I have climbed as a young boy.
Let's see if I can remember - from left to right: Laggers (?), Muttekopf, Plattain, Heiterwand and Mieminger-Kette is what we see? And of course the foot of Tschirgant down there on the right.

Also, the magnificent Tschirgant in picture # 2 and a small peek down the Inn-valley.

Thank you maggo85 / Marcus!
:D

P.S.: I am surprised how little snow (almost nothing at all!) there is in Austria! There should be at least 1 meter now, all the way down to Brennbichl...

Walter, I knew you would like that :)

Thank you very much for your kind words - you're the one who inspired me with your fantastic pictures to go out and shoot some by myself! These photos also have been the reason why I looked at HDR, what has become my favourite thing to deal with :)

I love to play around with my shots in PS and then in Photomatix/DPHDR, to get the best out of them and create very natural looking HDR's to convey the feeling, light and colors just how it was when I took the pic ;)

You named all the mountains right, Walter :)
I've climbed the Muttekopf and Platein too when I was about ten or something... the small ski-slope running from the Muttekopf down in the woods is the ski-region (I think it's way to small to call it like that) Hoch-Imst, where I often go skiing after work.

BTW, when it comes to snow - I can't remember a "winter" which such a small amount of snow.... we didn't have more since beginning of this "winter"! I guess that's what we call the "climate change" :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter_S (Post 1044210)
P.S.: As I do have a special interest in these pictures / panoramas - I really would like all of it - in two panoramas - as you have divided them here - and each of the different panels to download, so that I can scrutinize everything in detail!

:)

I'll upload them on my dad's webspace ASAP - but be warned, each of the two parts of the panorama are about 10 mb, but the detail is amazing (in my eyes) :)