Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Landscape Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/)
-   -   As night turns into day... (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/night-turns-into-day-181422/)

Walter_S Dec 15, 2010 9:05 AM

As night turns into day...

2 Attachment(s)
...and a very cold winternight - with temperatures down to minus 14º C - draws to an end and I am ready with my new D300s. The tripod is set up securely on the beach - which in itself is quite a job, because the round and icecovered (slippery!!) boulders on the beach don't offer much grip for the tripod-legs. I need almost 15 minutes looking (with a tiny headlamp on my forehead) for a location which is suitable and the tripod is level.

Attachment 167670
Nikon D300s + Nikkor 16-85mm ED VR @ 16mm with f: 9.0 and 1/2,5sec - ISO 200

and 5 minutes later...

Attachment 167671
Nikon D300s + Nikkor 16-85mm ED VR @ 16mm with f: 9.0 and 1/2sec - ISO 200

This takes all place before the sun is out, and with it, the colors. Until then, it's all a world of cool blues and silence (including a running nose and numb toes...).
;)

Take care, folks!

vvcarpio Dec 15, 2010 9:33 AM

Another beautiful shot that only you can make. (Actually, "shots", but that didn't sound as poetic...)

Bynx Dec 15, 2010 11:12 AM

Fortunately we dont feel the cold that you felt, but get to enjoy the peacefulness your pics have conveyed. Nice one Walter.

Torgny Dec 15, 2010 12:45 PM

Excellent, Walter,

Excellent. The boulders bear resemblance to "blåmusslor" (especially the second picture). Thereby depth and surface, sea and shore meet, the focus of your interest as I understand it

Torgny

Walter_S Dec 15, 2010 3:31 PM

I appreciate your kind comments - vvcarpio, Bynx and Torgny!

I see what you are talking about, Torgny. The bolders looking like blåskjell / blåmusslor / mussels. It is because of the differend layers of ice on the boulders, due to waterlevels constantly changing because of flood- and ebb-tide.

Best regards!

Acapulco Dec 16, 2010 11:07 AM

WOW love those pictures Walter !
and Torgny beat me too it, but yes, they really do resemble mussels very much.
Great job. and also, I noticed that the shots are pretty much a panorama :D

condorman Dec 18, 2010 1:54 AM

Love these Walter, the rocks with the Ice have an amazing look feel to them.
Mark

Walter_S Dec 18, 2010 3:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acapulco (Post 1178775)
...and also, I noticed that the shots are pretty much a panorama

Thank you, Acapulco - I appreciate your kind words.

About most of my postings beeing in panorama-format - as you point out, and I realize that almost 75% of my pictures are - has two reasons - I think...

1) - For many years I could not afford a decent wideangle-lens, so I did the second best - I shot two pictures, side by side and stitched them together. Not quite the same, but strangely effective, all the same.

2) - Most of my themes are landscapes by or of the sea, seashore or other motives with comparatively flat landmass, the sea as a backdrop and the sky above. Now, there are only a few times when the sky itself with clouds are interesting enough to be includet big time, but mostly the sky is either a flat blue or grey-white and has no real interrest - so I crop it! Hence the panorama-like formats.

Its as simple as that.

Best regards from cold Norway!

:)

Walter_S Dec 18, 2010 3:44 AM

Hello condorman Mark - and thank you for your comment!

Best regards,
Walter_S

DSProtection Dec 18, 2010 4:32 AM

Absolutely beautiful.

Best regards/Daniel