Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Landscape Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/)
-   -   The Power of the Sea (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/power-sea-144604/)

smac Jul 28, 2008 12:33 AM

Here is a series of wave crashes from the Monterey coast. Thanks for looking.

smac Jul 28, 2008 12:33 AM

edfv

smac Jul 28, 2008 12:34 AM

edfv

smac Jul 28, 2008 12:35 AM

edfg

hercules Jul 30, 2008 1:23 AM

Great timing:cool: these are really good shots;)

pj1974 Jul 30, 2008 4:17 AM

Wow Steve!

Great photos of that lovely area (how far from where you live?)

I agree with Herc, you did very well on the timing.

My favourite of this series is definitely number 3. I think the clarity (sharpness) and contrast as well as the composition are just amazing... superb!

The balance of shapes and sizes of dark foreground rocks, white crashing wave and darker background compliment each other perfectly.

Also the "swell" of the wave and the actual crest / crash just seem so powerful!

Not saying the other photos of this series are poor.. not at all! Let me put it like this, imho (out of 10) photo 1 = 9, photo 2 = 7, photo 4 = 8, while photo 3 = 10.5!!

Thanks for sharing! Keep it up.

Paul

Torgny Jul 30, 2008 5:41 AM

smac wrote:

Quote:

Here is a series of wave crashes from the Monterey coast. Thanks for looking.

Great pictures. The best of it's kind I've ever seen. Very powerful waves, very powerful photographs

Torgn

TBAY Jul 30, 2008 6:42 PM

#3 by far works best for me. The energy of the swell breaking against the rock is best captured in that one. It has a sense of anticipation in that when the wave finishies crashing on the rock that the scene was even more magnificant. Very good composition, timing,and exposure. The only minor consideration would have been a smaller aperture to bring more of the scene in focus, especially the rock in front. Only a minor quibble though in what is a very good photo.

The others are wonderful too, but the timing and composition of #3 make it exemplary.

smac Jul 30, 2008 11:20 PM

Thank you all for your nice compliments.

TBAY, I know what your saying about the softness of the rocks. I took the picture at f/16 with a shutter speed of 1/1000 sec, so I don't understand the softness my self. I am with you in that I also like the wave surge following the crash. It does convey the sea's energy well, I think.

Again, that you all very much for leaving your comments.

Cheers,
Steve

Here is one other shot from the picture #3 sequence. All of the wave crashes were taken in burst mode. The photo below was the third of four in the sequence.

bahadir Jul 31, 2008 8:44 AM

Looks like another bach isbeing born!It would takesome time though : )

I too would favour #3 in which the movement of the sea iswell conveyedwhich results in this powerful crash:cool:I'd suggest a little selective job on the rock topronounce it further, a localexposure blending perhaps..