Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Landscape Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/)
-   -   The Ten-thousand-Budda Temple (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/ten-thousand-budda-temple-143741/)

wk7leung Jul 9, 2008 6:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This temple is in Shatin, Hong Kong. The main temple buildings are on the top of a hill and when yougo along the trail that leads to the top, you will find a lot of buddastatues on the sides of the trail. They bear different expressions and their postures were different, too. Each ofthem seemingly has a story of its own that means to teach us a lesson about life. And some of the statues are even historical figures thatwere remembered either for the righteous deeds they had done or the otherwise.

Have to say the statues are by no means beautiful at all but they are interesting. And here are some of them.

1

wk7leung Jul 9, 2008 6:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
2

wk7leung Jul 9, 2008 6:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
3

wk7leung Jul 9, 2008 6:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
4

wk7leung Jul 9, 2008 6:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
5

bahadir Jul 10, 2008 5:21 AM

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:

Have to say the statues are by no means beautiful at all but they are interesting. And here are some of them.

Ah, looking at the statues (as an oldZen practicer!)Iasked to myselfonce again thatwasn't it Buddha himself who reminded people believing in some immortal spirit is nothing but delusion ??...and people made religions out of his philosophy withgods and afterlife as soon as he died! Anyway, I still enjoy seeing any tasteful work reminding methis runaway wise prince ; )

Thanks for sharing!

Bahadır



wk7leung Jul 10, 2008 10:05 AM

I am open to different kinds of religious beliefs and I think mankind needs it to quench their thirst aboutthe uncertainty of life,the quest about where they are from and where they will go to after death.

Asking for blessing from a statue is far from being sensible. In the meantime, excessive indulgence in a religious belief isno good at all in myopinion,and a bit of humanistic mindset plus a slight bit of secularism may help to keep us from beinga square plug in a round hole in interpersonal relationship ...... Better stop here. This is a photographic corner.

bahadir Jul 11, 2008 1:09 AM



Btw, I should remark that my intention was rather pointing outthe dramatic twist in theoriginal teaching of Buddha, which very probably had an indispensable effect on his representationswe often encounter visually, than judging the idea of religion itself, whichis altogether very human...

wk7leung Jul 11, 2008 4:52 AM

bahadir wrote:
Quote:

Btw, I should remark that my intention was rather pointing outthe dramatic twist in theoriginal teaching of Buddha, which very probably had an indispensable effect on his representationswe often encounter visually, than judging the idea of religion itself, whichis altogether very human...
The twist is no good. And I think the twist has been made in order to create a visual and touchable form for people to think on, especially for those who are illiterate, so that they have fear for gods and that they do the best they can to be moralistic.

As you have said, philosophy is not religion. Matters about the Almighty is better to be dealt with in theology studies.

In the meantime, the Almighty is immortal and statues of animals and ancient figures are like weeds that will eventually perish. The ancient figures' good practice and good deeds should not be reasonsto make them immortal in status and the centre for human worship.

You are right that the twist is wrong. Real faith in a religion should be sought from the doctrines, not these perishable ‘mud' and ‘clay'. Peter

bahadir Jul 11, 2008 7:03 AM

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:

bahadir wrote:
Quote:

Btw, I should remark that my intention was rather pointing outthe dramatic twist in theoriginal teaching of Buddha, which very probably had an indispensable effect on his representationswe often encounter visually, than judging the idea of religion itself, whichis altogether very human...
The twist is no good. And I think the twist has been made in order to create a visual and touchable form for people to think on, especially for those who are illiterate, so that they have fear for gods and that they do the best they can to be moralistic.

As you have said, philosophy is not religion. Matters about the Almighty is better to be dealt with in theology studies.

In the meantime, the Almighty is immortal and statues of animals and ancient figures are like weeds that will eventually perish. The ancient figures' good practice and good deeds should not be reasonsto make them immortal in status and the centre for human worship.

You are right that the twist is wrong. Real faith in a religion should be sought from the doctrines, not these perishable ‘mud' and ‘clay'. Peter
...actually all too human asNietzsche puts it : )


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:51 PM.