Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:43 AM   #1

This is an open air pantheon of the Hittites, dating back to the13th CenturyBC., in the vicinity of today's city of Çorum in the heart of Anatolia. There, one canobserve the reliefs of the Hittite gods and goddessesas well asthe hieroglyphs revealing their identities over their heads inscribed on the rocks.The path you seeturns to right for the rest of the place where youcan seelarger depictions.Canon S70,aperture:F/4, exposure t: 1/1000, iso:50, meteringattern
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:10 AM   #2

For ex: Here God Sharruma(larger figure)protecting and guiding King Tudhaliya the IVin his arm. Aperture:f/2.8 Exposure: 1/125
Attached Images

Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:30 AM   #3

Interesting place!

Funnily enough I was watching a documentary about the Hittites the other night, they seem to have been a rather aggressive bunch of people: mind you so does everyone else around that era!

Anyhow, I was thinking "that Anatolia looks an interesting place to go", and it seems like you beat me too it: you're a bit closer to begin with though :-)

Regards, John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:57 PM   #4

Bahadir,

Very nice job on the exposure in number one. I sometimes blow out the clouds and you have not. Well Done.

Besides the photos you show us there is also provided a wonderful history lesson with each. It always makes your posts a pleasure.

I think there is a wasp in my house... *S*

Bill

Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 2:46 AM   #5

John, thanks for your interest. As an admirer of your photographic meritsI am overenjoyed to hear your kind words of appreciation.

Quote:
I was thinking "that Anatolia looks an interesting place to go",
I hope you realize yourthought in near future And you can consider the logistics support (myself) in Anatolia!
Quote:
they seem to have been a rather aggressive bunch of people: mind you so does everyone else around that era!
I think you are under the impressionof one of the early kings of Hittite states,Anittas's act of destroying Hattusas and his wordsfrom that documentary. It is in fact Labarnas or Hattushili I (which means from Hattusas, the city destroyed by Anittas) to establish the Hittite Kingdom.

Well, about the Hittites, they were one of the two superpowers of their era along with the Egyptian Empire. So, no wonder they were quite efficient at warfare. Yet, being warlikecould bethe least of their qualities:!:They bore the tolerant quality of Anatolian culture. Unlike those of the Assyrian and ancient Egyptian reliefs, there are no scenes of torture or violance against captives of war in Hittite reliefs. It is also known that the Hittite kings showed examples of forgiveness for their ungrateful relatives instead of having their heads chopped off or keeping them in dungeons. The queen on the other hand had her own seal and the power to act in state matters (having nothing to do with intrigues or whatsoever).Plus, it is the Hittites who performed constitutional monarchy first.

Enough of history lesson I feel
Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:11 AM   #6

Dear Bill, I though it would be unfair to squeeze a reply for you to the above post!Yes this isthedilemma; blown out skyagainst a well exposed ground or a dark ground against a well exposed sky, which often encounters me also. But sometimes, when the sky ispiercingblue and the sun is not in theviewIcan have decent shots. In this occasion the clear,'unhumid' atmosphere of the centralAnatoliaproved to bevery helpful.
Quote:
I think there is a wasp in my house... *S*
Good for you! Which album? :blah:

Thank you for your insightful comments and appreciation as ever.

Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:42 PM   #7

Bahadir,

Have you used any of the split or half graduated filter? I use them a good bit in just this type of scene. I put the filtered portion on the sky and it evens out my exposure. I have found them to do wonders. They come in several different strengths. I find them most useful in the early mornings as the sky will brighten faster than my terrestrial subjects.

Cheers,

Bill
Old Sep 19, 2006, 1:09 AM   #8

Thank you Bill. That's a very useful piece of information you give for such occasions, I believe. ND filters might also help to an extend but, of course, cannot be compared to the efficiency of your dedicated solution. My only concern is, because I haven't used such filters, for complicated compositions in which the ground and sky are not split with a distinct line, if the split filter would cause an artificial look dividing the items into dark an light parts.. Maybe you could also link a picture you took with this kind of filter

Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:23 AM   #9

Bahadir,

This was shot with a half graduated filter. It is at sunset but it help even out the exposure for the trees that are in the shadows.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...480360#p480360

I hope that works I have never posted a link in here before.

Bill
Old Sep 19, 2006, 2:33 PM   #10

Ok, Bill, the efficiency of the filter is now strongly confirmed!! How did I miss this shot?Btw, I hope you have arranged a portfolio for your landscape photos or I will !