Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:29 PM   #1

Hi guys,

I took this shot on a really bright day and the light was very harsh, thats why the clouds are a little blown. I did try and remedy the situation usinga shadows/highlights adjustment layer.

Any comments on my efforts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Attached Images

longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2006, 5:28 PM   #2

Yellowbeing my favourite colour, I am fascinated by this shotI even would like to hang it on the wall ! However, I think, while trying to reduce the blown parts of the clouds you also reduced the vividness of the sea of yellow flowers. You could do a more selective job IMHO. Here I tried to bring back what the flowers already had without ruining the clouds. Well if I hadpatience, I would alsoreduce the blown parts with burn toolat PS. Hope you don't mind
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 2:25 AM   #3

Many thanks for your editing Bahadir, and also for your comments. I am new to PS so will have a play with the burn tool and see what i can come up with. I will post the re-edit!.

Many thanks
Old Sep 20, 2006, 4:17 AM   #4

I like it, but I like Bahadirs edit better :-)

Other things you could try: making a graduated selection of the sky area and then applying a levels or shadows/highlights change to the sky alone. Or selectively increasing saturation in the red/green channels only to bring out the flowers.

HTH, John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:28 AM   #5

Beautiful shot, the contrasts of clouds to sky and yellow to blue. Nice edit Bahadir-really makes the photo a standout....cheers.........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:10 PM   #6

Hi guys, thanks for all your helpful comments.

Bahadir and John, your tips regarding PS were invaluable and proved really insightfull. I have taken on board your suggestions and made my final edit of the image, please let me know what you think!

Many thanks.
Attached Images

Old Sep 21, 2006, 3:22 PM   #7

The two comlementary and, meanwhile, contrasting components of this picture are the blue sky embroidered with voluminous cloudsand the sea of yellow flowers, IMO. If we are to take the sky for granted since it looks quite allright, then, concerning the sole dominating elementthat remains, I'd say there'sconsiderable improvement inthe picture after your edit, which is...

I think you achieved this by selecting the flower field with lasso tool to enhance, which is observable in the trunks of the trees split into two tones to the bottom and, inevitably, which results in the trees at the background and the top of the treesat the the foregroundremain somewhat pale . I think you should have selected them too. The blue ares between the branches of the trees won't be as difficult as it seems when you zoom in while editingKeep up the good work, Longside!

Best rgds,

Bahadır

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:51 PM   #8

Greatpicture love the colors.

Gisli.
Gisli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:28 AM   #9

Bahadir, you are too observant! Absolutely correct with my method of improving the flowers. I would have tried to incorporate the trees's too, but i can feel a headache coming on when trying to sort out the sky amidst the branches.

I may practice my PS skills by possible desaturating the image and adjusting the colours to be able to capture just the trees....or i may just zoom in and darken the pale segment of the trunk. The latter sounds tempting!

Gisli, thankyou for your kind comments.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 8:26 AM   #10

from the word go the picture worked......i love the way the trees lead u into it and the composition is just right..........must have been mid/early summer when u shot that? rape seed oil is long gone

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote