Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:49 PM   #1

this shot of Mt. Shuksan has proven hugely popular... POTD on 3 websites, and POTM on one. i guess living so close to it, i tend to sort of take if for granted, but apparently a lot of people really enjoy this view of the rugged beauty of the Pacific Northwest. this shot was taken about 3 weeks ago, on October 22nd; believe it or not,there is now over 5 feet of snow blanketing this spot!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:58 PM   #2

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
believe it or not,there is now over 5 feet of snow blanketing this spot!
Living in Northern California I believe it. I hope you guys get to dry out a little there soon.

That is definately a POTM maybe POTY in my book. Absolutely fantastic. I am at a loss for adjectives.
All that's left to say is "Brilliant!"
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:33 PM   #3

ditto! what an incredible shot!
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:09 AM   #4

Great to see it again
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Quote:
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i guess living so close to it, i tend to sort of take if for granted
Quote:
Maybe you couldalso allow us to seethis wonderful view with 5 feet of snow
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:15 AM   #5

if i could get up there through that snow, Bahadir, i'd love to... but the weather here has been so terrible - we've had pretty much constant rain (snow in the mountains) for the entire month of November, wind, flooding in the lowlands - and the days now are so short, that it just wouldn't be practical to even attempt it. now if i had a 4-wheel-drive vehicle, and if the weather cleared a bit, that'd be a different matter!! :G
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:09 AM   #6

Wow, squirl, lovely capture and congrats with receiving some recognition for it (from the various POTD's, POTM's on other sites....)

Though I've got to say I almost did a double take when I saw the "photo of the day" (of today on this site, Steve's).... it's the SAME mountain and I'd say probably taken from the same place at the same time as you capture!! Wow, the similarities are SO incredibly close.

I love your photo, though I've got to concede the POTD from Wayne Duifhuiswith hisOlympus C-7070)has slightly more of the landscape (water, sky and trees on both sides) which I think gives it the edge over yours. (just IMHO of course!) Also the colour / tones are slightly different (softer, and a bit less exposed it seems).

Both are fantastic photos of a superbly fantastic view. Like bahadir mentioned though, it would be interesting to see what that looks like now (covered with snow!) Let us know if you get access to a fine day and a 4WD!

Thanks for sharing, keep it up.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:53 AM   #7

Picture perfect in every way.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:52 AM   #8

Not much to say that the others haven't said already, except: WELL DONE! :-)

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:08 AM   #9

thanks, everyone. Paul, that POTD today IS a dead ringer, but as you mentioned, a little wider view. the C7070 obviously has a wider-angle lens than the 24-135 i was using (which on my 30D is "really" a 38-216)... looks like he might have gotten there a tad earlier in the year, as well... seems to be just a bit more color in the undergrowth. only goes to show, that mountain is one of the prime photo attractions in the northwest, and people flock there to get photos every day during the summer.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:37 AM   #10

Squirl033,

Indeed "a dead ringer"... true!

Yes, actually I had noticed (checked out your EXIF info) that your lens was at it's widest angle (of 24mm) on your 30D, and that let me realise you had gone as wide as you can (and your aperture was f16).

Did you choose f16 for any reason (as say, opposed to f11)? Is your lens slightly sharper at that fstop? Or was it for reasonsof depth of field? (I would've though f11 and 24mm would have given one enough dof to play with..? And some people say don't go over f11 unless you really have too.. What are your thoughts?

True,there is maybe a bit more colour in the undergrowth... but the snow looks almost identical.. .though maybe your snow is brighter (almost reaching "peak white / blown out highlights, but I think you've still done its exposure well!)

Must be a great spot to take photos .... and chat to others doing the same!

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote