Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:32 PM   #1

Hello:

Can anyone (especially if you have a calibrated monitor) tell me if this looks any better than my previous posts? Is it still too dark?

Thanks in advance for critique, and your patience! Ria
Attached Images

RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:52 PM   #2

Hi Ria

This is definitely not too dark.

All the detailsin the shadows are there.

Having got it to this stage,I'd congratulate myself ...
Then I would do yet another one, darkening some of the darker bits of the shadowsa bit ...

Please note: I am letting myself be very picky
If I had not seen the previous pictures, I would not have felt the need to see any darker areas. But as it is, there's a certain gravity the earlier onesandI would be interested to see a version of this new one, with som eof that gravity put back.

The etherial quality is stilll shining through beautifully.

I think what we have here today is ANOTHER beautiful picture ...

Sometimes one imagedeserves many treatments ... andbecomes many pictures.

I think this is one of them.

Regards

Glyn

Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:10 AM   #3

Thank you, Glyn, for the insightful and thought-provoking critique. it was very helpful and motivates me to keep working until I get it right. I feel it's not quite "soup" yet but hopefully with the forum's help it'll get there.

Cheers! Ria

Old Dec 2, 2006, 4:01 AM   #4

RiaRia, your shot looks a lot better than before and I think you have done a really good job. The image is well composed and you have found a great location.

I hope you don't mind but I have made a couple of edits using adjustment layers in PS CS2. If you look at the histogram of your original shot you will see that you are missing quite a bit of data, so using levels and curves I made a few tweaks and then finished the shot with a very slight saturation lift.

Please let me know what you think.

kind regards, Matt

longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:04 PM   #5

Looks stunning to me.

I think the suggestions from the others are good ones, especially the slight lift to the saturation.

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:25 AM   #6

Matt, I loved your edit. It was almost exactly as I had imagined the shot would turn out, had I had the skill to do so. Thank you so much! If you have time, could you share more specific details as to what levels "tweaks" you used? They worked wonders.

Thank you, John, for your kind comments. They really made my day. Cheers! Ria
Old Dec 3, 2006, 3:47 AM   #7

Ria, I'm not sure how Matt made his adjustments, but when I want to boost saturation I use the color mixer pluggin from http://www.simpelfilter.de/en/ it's really easy to use and I seems to give more subtle results than messing with Hue/Saturation layers (the problem is avoiding "hot spots" if you just boost the saturation in photoshop).

HTH, John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:03 PM   #8

Hi, John -

Thanks so much for the link. I read it with great interest. It looked like it would really do the trick. Unfortunately, it wasn't until I tried to open it that I discovered it was Windows-only. Do you know of any other similar plug-in for Macs?

Cheers! Ria (the self-elected President of the Anti Apple Discrimination Association)
Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:28 AM   #9

Ria,

Glad you liked the edit! basically, if you open up the levels adjustment dialogue box you can see from the histogramthat yous are missing some data. This is because the right hand sideof the histogram is flat, ie it has a "tail". This flatness means that the pixels contain no visible data and are therefore technically wasted on the image, making the shot appear flat.

To correct this move the right hand slider to the left, in essence cutting of the "tail" that means that all those pixels which were originally wasted are now given data. The result is improved contrast.

To sort the saturation is easy, just open thesaturation command box and tweak away. To avoid hot spots like john rightly mentioned only make small changes. If you want to be more specific with where you saturate/desaturate an image you don't have to use a plugin (although i'm sure its good) simply use the sponge tool. This enables you to be really accurate, or you could use a layer mask.

All the options can be accessed through the main menu's however i much prefer using an adjustment layer, this can be accessed using one of the little symbols at the bottom of the layers pallete (circle, half black and half white). This means all your edits are done on a seperate layer and more importantly you get a layer mask attached, meaning you can mask parts of your edits using a black or white brush.

Hope all this makes sense, if not pm me and i'll give you some more help...... :-)
Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:28 AM   #10

sorry accientally posted twice :?