Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:08 PM   #1

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

commments, suggestions
Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:26 PM   #2

nice photo of some rolling countryside, but overall, this doesn't do anything for me. what's it a photo OF? there's nothing to grab my attention, to make me really interested in the photo. the hills in the foreground aren't particularly interesting, the buildings in the distance are too small and far away to be of interest, and there's nothing much in the background to look at. it needs a focal point, something for the viewer's eye to latch onto, to provide some interest and drama. try to include something for a viewer to look at... a building, a dramatic sky, aninteresting landscape feature or the like, so there's something to draw the eye and make the viewer want to look further...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:49 PM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Thanks for commenting. I am trying out to see a cultural differens in experiencing landscapes. In the Swedish culture the landscape has a intrinsical (?) value in it self, whereas, as it seems to me, the american culture, if there is a homogenous (?) one,
prefers landscapes with some form of action or human or other subject. Can that be a "correct" observation.

Susan Sontag, an american intellectual, who also is a friend of Sweden, has noted, that swedish people for instans go out in the nature to seek contemplation, to be alone and to just use their senses

Perhaps a cultural differens? Thanks again for the comment
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:08 AM   #4

not so much a comment on cultures or what Americans seek when we go to the country - it's more a comment on what makes a good photographic composition. there are many places where i love to go to enjoy nature, toget away from people and therush andnoise of civilization, tothink and simply experience peace and quiet... but many of those placeswouldnot makevery interesting photographs. i think that's the case here. i'm sure that setting is a wonderful spot to contemplate life, to seek peace, or simply to relax... it's just not one of those places that makes a striking photo.

PS - i'm amazed you have no snow! we have had two snowfalls here in the last 6 weeks, and normally we get one a year - often none!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:34 PM   #5

Hi,

I like it! The main thing about this shot is I think it has too much forground. I did a little playing with it. what I did was to first crop it, Then use my Clarify then added a little more hue and saturation and then ran the high pass shapening on it. I did not use much of each. Oh, One more thing I did use some fill flash to brighten it a little. I hope you don't mind.

I go out into the country on my motorcycle to be alone and feel freedom. I also have my camera with so when something catches my eye I can get a picture to remind me where I have been and what I saw. I love the country for clearing my mind of the daily grind. :G

Rudy
Attached Images

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 5:41 PM   #6

squirl033

Hi!

Why don´t You take pictures of one (or more) of those places. I personally really would be interested.

Does a photo, or an oil-paiting for that matter, really need to be "striking". Isn´t that what you are doing when you play bowling?

I have seen so many "wow-pictures" and perhaps made a few myself but the curious thing is that I easily get bored with them (also my own) and return to the simple

On the other hand, a camera is a powerful tool, and you sure can create stunning (isn´t that what happens when a "Teaser-gun" (?) is used) pictures with it.

What happened by the way with the "political and social" photograpy? Is there any in the US? I just saw the film by Al Gore. Perhaps photographers of all kinds should contribute to the struggle for a better environment

No, there is no snow here in the southern parts of Sweden. I heard that it is the first time in very very many years (I don´t remember the exact year) that there is no snow in Central Park, NY. Hope You enjoy the snow, if You like it that is.

Thanks for a interesting mini-discussion ;-)

Torgny
Old Jan 13, 2007, 5:46 PM   #7

Bluwing

Thanks for Your "cropping proposal" and other enhancements of the picture I posted

Torgny