Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:02 PM   #1

My first shots with my new D200 - I am way over my head with this camera, so all comments and suggestions will be totally appreciated.

I haven't been online in so long, it will take me ages to catch up!

Attached Images

MsPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:18 AM   #2

Hello Ms. Puck!

I also shoot with a D200 and have had it since May of 2006. It has a pretty steep learning curve. I came from a Coolpix 8800. I am beginning to get the camera to give me what I want in my pictures, but it took a while. It is a great piece of equipment and a lot to learn. What lenses do you have?

I have just bought new lenses. It is a cool hobby.

Happy Shooting

Bill

P.S. If you have any questions I will be glad to try to answer them from my experiences.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:53 AM   #3

Good for you Barbara! Nice camera. I just got the 30D and am wresting with that. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:39 AM   #4

Hello! Congrats on that new camera! You will get the hang of it in no time!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:02 PM   #5

Curmudgeon wrote:
Quote:
Hello Ms. Puck!

I also shoot with a D200 and have had it since May of 2006. It has a pretty steep learning curve. I came from a Coolpix 8800. I am beginning to get the camera to give me what I want in my pictures, but it took a while. It is a great piece of equipment and a lot to learn. What lenses do you have?

I
Thank you SO MUCH for your offer of assistance. I am coming from an Olympus C-8080 which does everything for you (and pretty well) but got such a great deal on this one that I couldn't resist.

I have the 18-200 lens, which came in the kit. I decided I wanted the 400, but gagged when I saw the cost! I would love to get a macro lens (do they call them micro in Nikon-land) because I love shooting very close up too, but the extras will have to wait until I have paid up the camera.

I spent an hour when I first turned it on trying to figure out how to get the LCD to "turn on" - I think I realize that you only can use the viewfinder to shoot with this guy and the LCD is only for playback. Shows you what I (don't) know!!!!!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:06 PM   #6

Too Funny! I had exactly the same reaction. I was like ..hey my LCD will not show my picture before I shoot.... felt a little foolish *LOL* but hey it is what we were use to seeing. It took me for ever to figure out how to zoom in on a pic once it was taken and shown on the LCD..

You will have a great time learning this thing. The key is just take it with you all the time and try stuff.

Bill
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:54 PM   #7

How about allowing some ground line toMad Anthony:-)The trees behind make a decent background IMO. Congratson your camera once again!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:41 PM   #8

Bahadir writes : How about allowing some ground line toMad Anthony:-)The trees behind make a decent background IMO. Congratson your camera once again!

Yes, poor guy looks like he is floating in front of the trees - he is standing on a big pedestal and I was trying to see if I could make it look less like a statue and more like a "vision" in stone by eliminating the pedestal. Keep encouraging and instructing me - it's so HELPFUL!!!!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:44 PM   #9

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Good for you Barbara! Nice camera. I just got the 30D and am wresting with that. Donna
Thanks Donna - I am finally having to learn something about this, rather than just pointing and shooting. It's totally wonderful fun, but also very time consuming. As I replied elsewhere, I need to RETIRE so I can learn it all before I"m too old to hold up this heavy camera!

I've missed being on the site and need to go back and catch up with all the great photo posts -
Old Jan 14, 2007, 4:22 PM   #10

Well if you want an idea... I would try this shot center weighted metering or spot metering. Shooting a dark subject is very difficult with a lighter background. Center weighted may work on a cloudy day but it would not on a sunny day. Even on a cloudy day you my "blow out" the sky. Experimentation is the key.

You know your camera has a function that after you take the picture it will show you if you have blown out highlights and then you can use exposure compensation to fix it to reshoot while you are there.

Cheers,

Bill