Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 20, 2007, 5:00 PM   #11

Andrew, thank you for letting me know your opinion+the incentive
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:28 PM   #12

Yes Bahadir, your picture works because the eye is able to move about the picture freely with nothing distractingto stop the eye. The eye sees what was intended in the initial viewing of thephotograph, and thatis abold look at the boulder with its starktexture followed by a left to right movement throughout the foregroundhorizontal plane. Once into the background on the right side of the frame, the lighter cloud offers stability, almost an anchor, to keep the eye from wandering to far to the right and possibly leading itout of the picture. The freedom of movement continues on up and across to the left wherethe clouds offer more visual gentleness and, at the same time time asking the viewerto not lose sight of the texture on the boulder to the left.

Good stuff Bahadir. That's the way I see your picture.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:36 AM   #13

Andrew Waters wrote:
Quote:
...your picture works because the eye is able to move about the picture freely with nothing distractingto stop the eye. The eye sees what was intended in the initial viewing of thephotograph, and thatis abold look at the boulder with its starktexture followed by a left to right movement throughout the foregroundhorizontal plane. Once into the background on the right side of the frame, the lighter cloud offers stability, almost an anchor, to keep the eye from wandering to far to the right and possibly leading itout of the picture. The freedom of movement continues on up and across to the left wherethe clouds offer more visual gentleness and, at the same time time asking the viewerto not lose sight of the texture on the boulder to the left.
That's been excellent, Andrew!

You've fully justified almost every element in the picture (except for the fire which, in fact, wasn't there Ok, joke aside, I read each line of your didactic commentary with admiration and joy...Thank you so much!
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:13 AM   #14

Hi bahadir,

The first version to me is best. It has a certain feeling to it that the second version does not have. I think it is because of the shadows on the rock that creates some sort of mystry, That makes look harder into the shadows. Very nice!!!!

In your second version this picture, Because of the extra light on the rock it now (To me) becomes the focal point that you are drawn to.

Rudy

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:12 AM   #15

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
The first version to me is best. It has a certain feeling to it that the second version does not have. I think it is because of the shadows on the rock that creates some sort of mystry, That makes look harder into the shadows... In your second version this picture, Because of the extra light on the rock it now (To me) becomes the focal point that you are drawn to.
...And you have good cause, Rudy! Thank you for pointing out the abovementionedissues.I certainly believe that feedbacks such asthis are so helpful in our learning process!
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:03 PM   #16

I like the original the best Bahadir. I find overprocessed images distracting at times. The subtle tones and the way my eye is led to the rock in the first I think is what your compostion achieved. Very nice....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:42 PM   #17

I agree with bluwing. I favor the original, for the reasons he cited. I think sometimes we try to brighten up photos to much, the shadows and dark areas add much to some photos IMO.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:00 PM   #18

Don & Bob:Here are two great contributors! Thank you for letting me know about your decisions which happen to match (due tothe character oftaste which could also improve with experience, perhaps?)Ah, I could almost lean for the edited version Well, as there's no ready made formulae for a great ompositionsuchfeedbacksprove to bevery essential.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:25 PM   #19

Bahdir,

Somewhere between your original and your edit is what would work for me. The original for me is a little too dark and I suspect, if printed, would be dificult to see in most lighting conditions. The edit you did is close but pops out the small foreground light spot on the ground just a little too much. Having looked at some of your other work I would say the composition is very good as usual.
TBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:53 PM   #20

Very nice work. I like your edit...Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote