Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:13 AM   #1

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Hej!

This is a landscape photo without an object. No PP. (In this case relying on the image processor)

It is accurate the way I remember the scene. Should I have waited for something to happen or for the sun to give more light and shadow. (Life is short. Don´t want to miss too many photo opportunities)

Should I have done some (or perhaps a lot of) PP to make it more punchy.

Three topics (landscape photography)

Must there be an "object" (other than the landscape in itself, "an sich")

Must a picture be "punchy"

Must something "happen" (in a landscape photo)

Perhaps the picture gives some concreteness

/T

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:56 AM   #2

Hi Torgny,

The picture is just fine as it is! No, you don't need an object. You are making a statement of serenity with it as it is.

But you know me, I had to play with it a little to see if it could be better/different. I hope you don't mind my experimenting with your picture.

Rudy
Attached Images

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:55 AM   #3

I love your photo, looked at the histogram and it looked right on the money. I wouldn't change a thing.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:05 AM   #4

Hello Torgny! Very nice landscape photograph! Here is a link to a very informative site that deals with landscape composition. http://photoinf.com/ I think it will answer all your questions you posed. I have learned very much from reading the articles there.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:27 AM   #5

Hi Torgny, I agree with what was said, its a nice landscape I like it very much,the only criticism I have got is that its a little flat.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:41 AM   #6

Torngy, there are always objects and something happenning in any landscape disregarding whether or not we perceivethem.Ah, they won't yield themselves at the first sight...You sometimessee through the window howdried grass and flowersnod with the wind in harmony with Bach playing in your room, don't you? That would be great, of course, if wecan perceiveand then share this perception captured ina work with others.This is the process at which natural objects turnsinto aesthetical objects. Someeven call it art

I see an eye pleasing diagonal flow in this picture as a result ofsomenoticable correspondance between the objects ( roads, group of bushes, trees, clouds etc) it comprises. Well done!

You could, however,accentuate theoverall impact playing with the Curves and Highlight tool at PS. IMO

PS. Iremember Squirl's doing apretty goodexplanationconcerning your adresses here,in his reply to one of your earlier posts 'Swedish'.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:04 PM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Hej!

Thank you all for your "points of view" (?)

The three questions have a considerabel amount of rethoricism (?) to them. (Of course none of us are striving to be "view-card photographers")

Personally I give a three-fold "no" as answers to the questions. I have a deep respect for nature as it is and I can´t resist taking photos in very different conditions. (Who am I, trying to alter...)

This type of landscape photography to me is about contemplation, not about action and punchy details. Places I would like to visit are the Siberian taiga and the deep woods of Alaska

It seems to me that it would be more of a challenge to take good pictures in such environments than in for instans some Hawaiian island. Oh, don´t get me wrong: who doesn´t like a well planted paradise (from persian language, meaning "garden")

Now, this is a _discussion_ forum. Theese matters mean much to me. I hope I haven´t overstated

Torgny
(northern light)

Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:28 PM   #8

Hej!

Oh, I forgot something I wanted to say. I have never participated in a web forum before but when I accidently came across this one I felt right at home. Friendly, polite, warm, welcoming.

When one of all my sons noticed that I was engaged in a forum he showed me this site:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

as a warning:!:. That may apply to other forums, not to this one:-)

For your amusement only

/T

Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:02 PM   #9

Very nice landscape...I can't decide which I like better....donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote