Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 8, 2003, 1:20 AM   #1

Default Is there anything special about this photo?

Every time I run across this photo in my computer it stands out at me for some reason. Is it just because I've been there and enjoyed the visit, or is the photo actually a keeper? Or is it, as they say, "just a record of where I've been"?

------------->

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2003, 3:33 AM   #2

It is a very nice photo. The trees on the other side of the lake are very interesting to look at, and the water makes it a calming scene to experience.
Is it representing the true colours? It seems a like it is lacking some colour.

It is a very interesting point you bring up about our own emotional attachment to photographs. Sometimes we like our own photographs, not due to composition or the artistic success of it, but because something in it triggers a feeling we had when the moment was. Those photographs are important to keep for personal journal, I think. (hehe ...that is not to mean that you should tuck away this photo to a journal book, by any means...hehe)

In any case, I think it is a great photo and is very calming and looks like a beautiful place indeed.
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 1:06 AM   #3

SE,

Thanks for the kind words. I know most times when I think a shot is really great, I'll show it to somebody (non photography person) and they'll act like they're wondering "what's so great about that".

I don't remember for sure if I did anything to the color in PS (Elements) or not. I think it was straight from the camera except for resizing and sharpening. The shot was taken at about 3:00 PM so the lighting was rather harsh. That may be why it appears to be lacking color. I played around with it in PS for a few minutes and came up with this. I like it better with a more blue cast to the lake.

-------------->

Thanks,

Jim
Old Jul 9, 2003, 1:15 AM   #4

I dont know about you.. or the location, but it makes me want to run over the cliff and dive into the water

(not that i do that sort of thing anyway)
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:03 AM   #5

the more I look at that photograph, the more I like it.....hehe, now I am the one to get feelings over it...haha
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 1:25 AM   #6

Gimli

Hey, I had the same thought! Maybe it's because it has been in the 90's all week (except today... finally!) I'll do a cannon ball and see how big a splash I can get.

I like the picture too. It's well focused and properly exposed. That is a great places to start!

If I could wave a magic wand and change it, I might make the water smoother so the trees/sky could be reflected in it... but there really is no way to know if that would improve it or not.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 8:16 AM   #7

Nice job, Jim

Nice to know your photo can take you "back there
in the moment."
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 9:05 AM   #8

Deleted
Elrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 9:57 AM   #9
NHL

I realize that this is a lanscape picture, but if you've captured it as a portrait or crop it as such to include the sky (and clouds) as well. IMO it will create even more of an impact!

... Right now the blue sky is kind of squeezed out, and I would have crop it totally off to focus on the water alone (just my 2c... ignore me).
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 2:26 PM   #10

Thanks much for the compliments, guys. I really appreciate you all taking the time to look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digcamfan
Nice to know your photo can take you "back there in the moment."
I wish it could have taken me back there today. It touched 100 degrees today, and I spent the day working outside. Gimli and eric s would have had to run pretty fast to beat me into the water!

eric s,
Your idea of the water reflecting the trees crossed my mind too. I have this composition all planned out for this lake. My plan is to get up early and drive/hike into the lake early tomorrow morning. I want to be there just before the sun comes up. The rising sun should illuminate the mountainside behind the lake before it illuminates the lake itself. That should give me a nice mirror image reflection of the mountainside in the water. If I fill up about 512 Megs of memory, over a period of an hour or so, I may just luck out and get a good one. Stay tuned, I'll post the results.

Elrascal,
The photo is of "Cook's Lake", located in the Idaho Panhandle. It's in the Selkirk mountain range, near Bonners Ferry, Idaho (which is where I live). It's about 1 hrs. drive/10 min. hike to the lake from my house. If any of you are ever in the area, let me know; I'd be happy to give you a "guided tour".

NHL,
I also had an issue with that little sliver of sky showing. I did crop out the sky in one edit, but I really didn't like the results. For me anyway (and I am no expert), the sky showing above the ridge adds a sense of "beyond-ness" to the photo, like "Hmmmm? I wonder what's on the other side of that next ridge?" Like you, I don't like the sliver of sky either; I think more sky showing might be the answer, and I'll try that tomorrow morning.

Thanks again,
Jim