Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:29 AM   #11

Thanks for the comments and different PP, everyone! I appreciate it. The location is Glacier National Park(the Glacier ecosystem is one of the three wildest in the lower48).

I used a Rebel XT with the kit lens (no tripod). There were a ton of fires in the area that caused the sky to haze out, giving a kind of glazed look to the scene.

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:59 AM   #12

Beautiful shot! Talk about calm waters!! I like the original and Ollie's adjustment. Like he and Squirl said, it gives the shot more impact. Nicely done!!!..........cheers....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 1:23 PM   #13

I had to look at this again. Ollie, I am going to sue you, you just caused my eyeballs to drop out of my head! :lol:
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:58 PM   #14

Gallatin wrote:
Quote:
There were a ton of fires in the area that caused the sky to haze out, giving a kind of glazed look to the scene.
i was over in Idaho, trying to get decent shots of the Sawtooths at about that same time... first week of September last year. the smoke from all the #$%&#@ forest fires messed up my shots too, except for some really nice sunsets i got across Lake Couer d'Alene... :X
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:55 PM   #15

Yep. Most of the smoke in Glacier was from Idaho. There were a few small fires in Montana west of the park though.

It really messed up video andphotography for the most part. Susnets can be good, but the deep blue brilliant skies the west is famous for go bye-bye. Those skies and light also create a great definition/contrast that rarely needs PP IMHO.

I left Glacier around the 8th and went down to Yellowstone. It was 10x worse. It took some snowstorms around the 15th of September to blow most of it out. I was in Grand Teton, camping in my tent in 20 degree weather. Woke up and my tent was covered in ice.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:45 PM   #16

yikes! 20 degrees in September is a bit much for me! this year, i'm heading down to the central Oregon coast, down around Bandon. should get some pretty nice seascapes there, and no forest fires!just gotta worry about the #$%&$# fog... seems there's always something, isn't there?? :sad:
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:23 AM   #17

hahah yeah. Oregon sounds great though. I think that fog really adds alot sometimes. Depends on the light.

I'm a big fan of camping out in tents in the wilderness, so I have to take extra care of my gear. Camping around Yellowstone/Glacier means grizzly bears, so that's another element. I have a -20 down sleeping bag, so the 20's were not a big deal. I was very happy to get my battery grip this winter. Now I don't have to rely on proprietary charges on those more remote trips.