Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:40 PM   #1

This is another of my nighttime long-exposure photos, actually near Stephens Park (I posted photos) and along the Musconetcong River. During the early 19th century, the Morris Canal was constructed to transport coal and other goods from western New Jersey and neighboring Pennsylvania to eastern NJ and NYC - in effect, the canal bisected the state. The Morris Canal used a series of lift-locks and inclined planes in order to navigate the somewhat mountainous terrain. If this method sounds familiar, it should - this same principles were used, albeit on a much grander scale, 70+ years later in the Panama Canal.

By the early 20th century, due to the proliferation of railroads, the Morris Canal died a neglected death. Dotted along the waterway one can still see the occasional signpost, marker, and run-down edifice.

This is a photo of one such structure, that once was a rest-stop and dining area for those whose working lives centered around the canal, as well as a home for the lock-tender. I do not believe it has been resided in for the last 30 years.
Attached Images

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:57 AM   #2

You certainly have a way with the night shots; it's a watchable photo, worth more than a look, and thanks for the history lesson about Morris Canal.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:23 AM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

flippedgazelle

Very athmospheric (moody) picture.

I like it. Thanks for the detailed story. "Musconetcong River", do you know what Musconetcong means?

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:47 AM   #4

I hate to see our history disappear, thank you sharing this!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:04 AM   #5

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Yes, that is also an important task for photographers, to keep the history alive...

eu has just posted a sequence of pictures from an old sanatorium

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=81
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:17 AM   #6

Thank you very much for the comments!

Torgny, "Musconetcong" is derived from a regional Native American name that means "clear water". I live between Lake Musconetcong and Lake Hopatcong ("sweet waters of many coves") which is the largest freshwater lake in New jersey.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:48 AM   #7

Thanks for explaining the names. I thought it must be that way

"And the indians fell..." (Mr B Dylan)

Sad thing

As kids we used to play one of the RPGs (role playing games) of that time. It was called "Cowboys and Indians". Knowing me a little by my pictures you can perhaps guess what role I took...

Old Feb 21, 2007, 6:19 PM   #8

Excellent night shot, well taken
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:03 AM   #9

Quote:
As kids we used to play one of the RPGs (role laying games) of that time. It was called "Cowboys and Indians". Knowing me a little by my pictures you can perhaps guess what role I took...

Torgny, not only am I positive you were an Indian, but I also wonder if you were a Medicine Man (or Shaman)...
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:13 AM   #10

flippedgazelle

Code:
(No, I was a ordinary member of the Iroquois tribe. There were over 500 tribes to choose from...)

Back to your picture. The more I look at it, the more I like it. If you have the time: what are
the exif data? And your thoughts on the vertical lines. Just curious

/T