Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 3, 2007, 5:39 PM   #1

Here in the UK we've had a Lunar eclipse tonight where the is Moon totally immersed in the shadow of the Earth.
During "totality", only light that has been filtered through the Earth's atmosphere reaches the Moon's surface, making it appear a reddish colour.
The eclipse is visible from the whole of Europe, Africa, South America, and eastern parts of the US and Canada.

With my Konica Minolta 5D, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG lens plus Bower 2x converter, this was the best I could get! Unfortunatley London has had cloud so I only had a short window (about 10 mins) to get pictures.

Really bemused why I couldn't get it in focus (manual). I had a tripod, mirror lock, 2 second timerand tried differnt combimations of aperture and shutter settings. This was 4 seconds at F11. Did the 2x converter play a part? Was it the earths atmosphere that played a part with it being hazy? Was there still some vibration rather than it being a focus issue?

This was taken last November with the same lens and is much sharper;

Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:36 PM   #2

I'd suspect vibration from the ground into the tripod at four seconds, but also wonder if the particular lens gets diffractive changes at the small aperture. Another off the wall thought is that with all that magnification of red light the long wavelength comes to focus a bit behind the sensor plane.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote