Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:51 PM   #1

Default First outing with G3

A couple of weeks ago, I was on a trip to Denver and had not really gotten to play with my G3 that I got in March. I am a newby at this, but I have really taken more of an interest in photography since I switched from my old Olympus C4040; my G3 is so much easier to use. Input is appreciated.

dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:47 AM   #2

dc, I travelled through Denver many moons ago and shot similar landscapes with my canon SLR. I'd say the quality of your pictures are every bit as good as my old film pics.

Which setting did you use - P, Tv, Av? Or - did you use landscape mode.

I've not tried taking landscape pics with my Canon G2, but now I'm looking forward to trying.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:51 AM   #3

The third picture was accidentally taken on Portrait, but all others were taken on Landscape.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:55 AM   #4

Have you tried not using 'landscape' for landscape shots, to compare the difference.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 7:37 PM   #5

Additional photos. The panorama was taken on the top level of Coors Field.

Now I would not ordinarity put a picture of my son out on the web, but this was too cute (biased opinion)

Old Jul 18, 2003, 8:50 PM   #6

It's understood why you included your son. He's just adorable and obviously very proud of his tiger painted face.

Your pano is great. I didn't get to do a pano of my gardens today, but must try it using the Stitch Assist mode on the camera rather than the stitch software. What did you use for yours.

The Coors Field shot looks wide. Crystal clear, too. Is that cropped or two pics stitched?
Old Jul 18, 2003, 11:02 PM   #7

For the pano, I did use the stitch assist mode, then used the PhotoStich app that is included with the Canon software bundle. As far as the Coors Field shot, that was a single shot taken from across the street. The EXIF data states that the focal length was about 14mm (about 70mm in 35mm film equivalency).

In answering a question you asked about not using landscape settings and comparing the difference, I did accidentally take the wide shot off of Pikes Peak in Portrait mode. I am not that pleased with it, though. The center is focused and then the parimeter is somewhat blurred, but some people may like that. I am really now after two years am really starting to venture into aperature and shutter speed settings. I had an Olympus C4040 that I never ventured too far with (found it too complicated to use). This G3 is just so simple I have wanted to try different things. I would have bought a G2 had I been able to find them in stock when I bought the Olympus; a year later the Oly is gone.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 11:02 PM   #8

For the pano, I did use the stitch assist mode, then used the PhotoStich app that is included with the Canon software bundle. As far as the Coors Field shot, that was a single shot taken from across the street. The EXIF data states that the focal length was about 14mm (about 70mm in 35mm film equivalency).

In answering a question you asked about not using landscape settings and comparing the difference, I did accidentally take the wide shot off of Pikes Peak in Portrait mode. I am not that pleased with it, though. The center is focused and then the parimeter is somewhat blurred, but some people may like that. I am really now after two years am really starting to venture into aperature and shutter speed settings. I had an Olympus C4040 that I never ventured too far with (found it too complicated to use). This G3 is just so simple I have wanted to try different things. I would have bought a G2 had I been able to find them in stock when I bought the Olympus; a year later the Oly is gone.

Damon