Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 6, 2007, 2:18 PM   #1

I was out on the last slightly overcast day experiementing with some different techniques.

One of which was varying shutter speeds. I wasn't able to totally control the speed, I need to find out what I was doing wrong. The camera was still limiting my shutter control, maybe I needed to be on full manuel control, I don't know. But on Shutter priority the shutter would only stay open for about .5 secs. Even though I had set it to 4 secs.
Anyway, here is one of the photos from that attempt.
Cheers all,
Steve

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2007, 3:35 PM   #2

that water LOOKS like water moving and not a big bowl of milk, well done.

as for the shutter problem, i wonder, was the flash set to go off? i think that may change the shutter speed, but not sure.
dumfriesdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 11:04 PM   #3

dumfriesdick wrote:
Quote:
that water LOOKS like water moving and not a big bowl of milk, well done.

as for the shutter problem, i wonder, was the flash set to go off? i think that may change the shutter speed, but not sure.
Thanks, I thought of the flash because earlier I was using it. But, the flash didn't fire on this shot. This just means I get to go back out and play some more until I figure it out. Oh Darn.
Thanks for your comment,
Steve
Old May 8, 2007, 1:19 PM   #4

The water looks nice, however the whole thing seems out of focus?
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 2:13 PM   #5

Good effort Steve. With regards your issues with the shutter speed, i think this is because your working in Shutter priority.

When in this mode, when you slow the shutter speed, the camera tries to maintain a balanced exposure by reducing the aperture to compensate. Clearly the aperture can only go so small to keep the balance, so if you try and dial in too slow a shutter speed the camera won't let you as it cant compensate with a small enough aperture.

I always shoot in manual mode regardless. If you check your histogram you can quickly make adjustments to get the effect/exposure your after. If you get it wrong just try again, thats the beauty of digital.....no costly film bill!!

good luck!

longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 3:37 PM   #6

longside1 wrote:
Quote:
... With regards your issues with the shutter speed, i think this is because your working in Shutter priority.

When in this mode, when you slow the shutter speed, the camera tries to maintain a balanced exposure by reducing the aperture to compensate. Clearly the aperture can only go so small to keep the balance, so if you try and dial in too slow a shutter speed the camera won't let you as it cant compensate with a small enough aperture.
I doubt ifany camera wouldbe that officious:Gwhen in 'shutter priority' (TV) mode so as to prevent you from taking overexposed pictures, which is so easy to doat least with mine (which does no further than simply indicating the smallest aperture it iscapable ofproviding in red, but without changing my shutter speed setting without my consent)!!

As for the picture: I liked that
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 5:50 PM   #7

longside1 wrote:
Quote:
Good effort Steve. With regards your issues with the shutter speed, i think this is because your working in Shutter priority.....

....I always shoot in manual mode regardless. If you check your histogram you can quickly make adjustments to get the effect/exposure your after. If you get it wrong just try again, thats the beauty of digital.....no costly film bill!!

good luck!
Thank you for the advice. This makes perfect sense. I wondered if I shouldn't be in Manual mode....now I know.

Bahadir, thank you for you comments as well. They are always appreciated.

Old May 10, 2007, 1:21 AM   #8

Lovely scene, rich in colour, well done......................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote