Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 13, 2007, 4:26 PM   #11

goomer wrote:
Quote:
Great shot Matt. Love the lighting, very dramatic sky.
Many thanks Goomer for taking the time to comment. I'm glad you like the shot. Matt
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 5:01 PM   #12

Great image Matt Ilove the dramatic sky.

Gisli
Gisli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 2:26 AM   #13

Gisli wrote:
Quote:
Great image Matt Ilove the dramatic sky.

Gisli
Coming from you Gisli i'm very appreciative. Many thanks.
Old May 15, 2007, 4:57 AM   #14

love it!! wish i could get even close to as good as that!!

For the less educated among us, can you talk us through the photo.. not necessarily camera setup, but the when's/ how much digi-editing etc filters...

Basically i thinking this is a perfect example of where i'd LIKE to get to with my photography but I cant see how to get there... so maybe you can fill in some gaps and give me some things to work on....

C
ceecrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 6:15 AM   #15

I am viewing this pic ok now I switched to my firefox browser for some reason

IE 7 was blocking it.

Terrific shot, very dramatic sky....................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 9:12 AM   #16

Musket, I'm glad you got things sorted, not sure why you were having the problems?! :?

ceecrb1, thanks for your kind comments. With re: the shot i didn't use any filters, apart from polariser, i've never really needed them to be honest. This shot consists of multiple exposures combined in Photoshop, therefore increasing the dynamic range of the shot.

With regards editing, again, using PS CS3 I created a sperate layers and tweaked the levels and curves (slightly) to increase the punch of the clouds. I was carefull not to getting carried away though!

Ithen made a separate layer of the finished sky and ran it through the high pass filter a few times in overlay mode, again to add effect. Using a layer mask i then softened this effect.

The foreground was left pretty much as it is, as detail had been brought back into the image from my initial combination of differing exposures. The only works that i really carried out was selctive saturation using the sponge tool along with a bit of dodging and burning.

Although i am really pleased with the finished effort, as you can prob tell i did a lot of post processing to the image. If you were to see the original you wouldn't believe they are the same shot. Some peole disagree with the notion of post processing but i just compare it to those individuals who shoot film using velvia or spend hours in the dark room after.

The end result is simply my interpretation of the scene as it was before me, reflecting the mood etc, which was one of isolation and intimidation, this i feel i have done.

One thing i will say, before you get bogged down with editing etc (if this is what you want to do) it's essential to make sure you take a good photo in the first place, ie good composition, subject matter, lighting etc or no matter how much editing you do, the results could have always been so much better.

I hope this info helps, if you need any other help just drop me a pm.

Thanks Matt
Old May 15, 2007, 1:22 PM   #17

That's a real keeper, Matt. Great work, and I especially love the sky.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 1:52 PM   #18

toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
That's a real keeper, Matt. Great work, and I especially love the sky.
Thanks Toshi, i'm glad you appreciate the shot!
Old May 17, 2007, 6:08 AM   #19

Thanks for the reply!

i'm used to the idea of hours in darkrooms! when i was small my dad paid me £1 a roll of film to develope his in our home's darkroom....

He "brought me up" to take the photo as you want he result to be, and as such i'm big on filters and spending a lot of time behind the camera taking exposures and adjusting (when the girlfriends not with me and getting more and more bored as time passes that is...) Its the same with my experience working in television.. usually it takes over an hour to prepare a 30second shot!
At the moment i'm denifiting greatly from my job being shift work, so i can finnish at 10pm some weeks, just as the suns going down. or after nights, i finnish at 6am. perfect for Dawn shots and i'm not too sleepy! Watch this space for results!
HOWEVER (when i replace my laptop with a decent machine) i'm hoping post editing will be my next project to learn...

Many thanks for the insight.. definately given me food for thought!!!

ceecrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 6:13 AM   #20

ceecrb1,

I can deff associate with the bored girlfriend. I bought mine ametal detector believe it or not and she loves it, keeps her out of my way for hours! Like I said, when you get up and running just drop me a pm if you need any help with anything.

cheers, matt