Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:11 PM   #11

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

bill43210

Now we are getting somewhere, also discussion-wise (smile) in this forum that has so many good and engaged photographers,

These issues are essential, critical to photography as well as any other art form that deals with a given format.

Yes, often you can feel a kind of emptyness, no matter how great the photo is (Not speaking for myself - still trying to learn the basics)

Three things come to my mind

1. The wow factor. Daring proposition: The greater the wow-factor, the easier to feel indifference in the long run

2. There is a phenomenon in art history, also known to social anthropologists, It´s called "horror vacui" (meaning: not feeling comfortable with emptyness, to put it mildly) referring to the tendency to fill up every part of a given surface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_vacui

3. Cultural. Yes I agree with JDar that you probably mechanically read images the way you read a text in a book. Sometimes it´s fun to flip a picture 180 degrees vertically and see what happens in your "mind", whatever that is

Just fun all of it

Torgny

stun, blow away, strike, pop, punch, stand out
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:31 PM   #12

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Rudy,

Thanks. Yes, perhaps we should make more use of sign language (smile)

Torgny

Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:34 PM   #13

Yes, there can be estethical values to almost anything. 100% full with 100% paper trash

/T

Attached Images

Old Jun 18, 2007, 2:01 PM   #14

JDar

musket

hercules

Thanks for viewing and commenting

Torgny

Old Jun 18, 2007, 2:14 PM   #15

An occasional peaceful and serene landscape or seascape without a particular focal point does wonders for me. Although a cow or a mermaid might be nice, the scene well captured is enough for me.

For the picture "box" my eyes went to the center then left to my trash can. Even so, we can contemplate if "box" is half-empty or half-full. :blah:
Attached Images

JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 2:30 PM   #16

JDar,

Seems to me that it is 100% full - with 100% emptyness (smile)

OK, for once - a emoticon - let´s see - friendly :lol:

/T

Old Jun 18, 2007, 9:25 PM   #17

I agree, I agree,Anyway 'le box' caused a reaction which is good, yes. Most art we just look at and move on. The ability to cause a reaction is one key I think. And perhaps someone will have his saddle ready just in case a horse moves into the photo as 4 me i'll keep my 4x4. You did say flip 180 degrees, check this out from my posting in the Digital art section, I tried to get a thread going but no one replied :angry:My posting 'negative or real shot'is post it here, you did say 180, right.

the idea was to throw the viewer of balance and cause a reaction, perhaps the emptyness of replies means that it did cause a reaction after all. Though it would have been nice to get some views, ah well.

I like work that causes the eye to be interrupted from the norm?? Digitalgal in her posting 'office buildings - angles' has a similar effect and why i enjoyed her posting. Its also why i had so much fun with 'reflections' photos. Now I also enjoy 2

dimensional work (yes yes) and Mondrian i really like. A photo does not have to replicate nature I think we agree, although its pleasing to view a pleasent scene and we enjoy the beauty. But emptyness certainly moves us out of our comfort zone but for me has a negitative effect which cause it not to be pleasing. So should art please the viewer, shock art.....

[align=center][/align]
Carl Andre, Equivalent VIII, Tate Gallery, 1972

The Tate's acquisition of the American minimalist Andre's 1996 work, two layers of bricks, caused outrage at a supposed waste of public money.

So enough, enough.. (its all in the eye of the beholder, right)
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 9:31 PM   #18

With your picture 'from the ground' I dont think its the lack of a specific focal point, all the individual parts are pleasing enough perhaps it is the mechanics of the composition or ...
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:55 PM   #19

Well,

guwJi seantou!

It´s always good to have self-knowledge and sometimes you feel the need to communicate to others the process and the result of the self-inquiries

Now to something completely different. Fibonacci series. I found this picture as an example of these fascinating numbers.

Check it out, Fibonacci series I mean. You can hardly avoid them if you´re interested in the wonders of composition

Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2007, 4:54 AM   #20

This is a very fascinating discussion because it gets to one of the key issues of photography--art or journalistic record. I have always liked William Wordsworth's definition of poetry, and I feel it can be validly extended to visual art. He called it "the spontaneous overflow of powerful feeling, reflected in quiet tranquility." Photography as art has the same power as the words to which Wordsworth refers. I do not consider either of the following photos particularly artistic, but both have merits. The first is a nice journalistic look at my son and his wife exchanging vows at their wedding in April. (Try to ignore the expression on the justice of the peace's face, lol.)

Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote