Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 20, 2007, 5:27 PM   #31

T./ OK, let go..

flippedgazelle (I just had to put the Beatles cd on, your comment has me in a nostalgic spin, I not seen the movie, cant find it on e-bay!!)

While it was a mute point, in fact we only know where we have been and where we are, so the bee is only coming from and on a journey to nowhere (another song from beatles??)because the future cannot be predicted except death as Heidegger points out, however there is an obvious floor, for me,in his opening statements when he asserts that;

Respectively, Sartre's and Heidegger's concepts of nothingness exemplify two major and conflicting approaches. For Sartre, nothingness is a nonbeing, a negation of all the entities in the world, which comes into "existence" through human consciousness. Heidegger, however, assumes the existence of nothingness from the outset, arguing that although we cannot grasp or know nothingness, we nonetheless, when anxious, have an experience of it. He argues that because any being is finite, nothingness forms beings and as such is a prerequisite of everything that is.

If i understand this correctly, this is all based on the assumes that we are finite which is where the problem begins for me, and many others, wecannot know until we pass across that threshold of death if there is a finite state to the human being 'a nothingness' or not, a something.

It is well known, and often repeated, that Rothko thought that art should deal with the human drama or tragedy and should intimate mortality. (9) Such intentions correspond to the role that Heidegger--who thought of poetry as the highest form of art--assigns to poets. In "What Are Poets For?" Heidegger maintains that the role of the poet is to present the whole sphere of being, including death, the side of being that, like the dark side of the moon, is hidden from us, invisible to us in our everyday life. Heidegger explains, "This affirmation, however, does not mean to turn the No into a Yes; it means to acknowledge the positive as what is already before us and present." What is present to us is what we are certain of, and "what is more certain than death?"[size=][/size]

[align=left]Mark Rothko painting Violet, Green and Red 1951. 'It is well known, and often repeated, that Rothko thought that art should deal with the human drama or tragedy and should intimate mortality'. [/align]
[align=left]So in my view the nothingness in a photo relates to a inner perception that there must be something and not 'nothingness' as isin 'Nothingness made visible: the case of Rothko's paintings'.[/align]
[align=left]Heidegger further maintains 'we cannot grasp or know nothingness' which I feel supports my view that there was something missing that makes me feel uncomfortable with the photo even though i do not know what.[/align]
[align=left]As to framing the world, im not sure photography does that or art generally, I see it as a portal into someones perception oftheir encounters with life, put into 2 dimensions, and the viewer takes his own encounter/experience to join with the picturewhich is why art is in the eye of the beholder. IMO[/align]
Attached Images

bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:26 PM   #32

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Hi,

Oh, that sure rocks (smile)

What Heidegger ment, I think, is that we should(?) make our death our own to live an authentic life. Then we don´t have to be afraid of nothingness/emptyness where ever in life and/or when ever in life we encounter it.

I understand people who believe that life is infinite. It´s a comforting thought for many.

To me that seems not to be the case. Large areas in space or time attract me and I don´t have the feeling that I must fill it with something special.

The here and the now. That´s why photography is so important. Thank you very much for an interesting mini discussion and for the lovely picture. My kind of picture. I´ll see if I can find a picture for you

/T

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:44 PM   #33

yes T. perhaps, I only read the first two pages and hisstatement,'we cannot grasp or know nothingness' applieseven if the suggestion you make is what is intended? the same proposition can be applied to time if that's implied by your statement that there is only the here and now, in a time continuum. Ah well, if only, I'll turn the Beatles music up a bit more and see if i can catch it tomorrow when the player isturned off. Cheers T its been fun.

bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote