Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:53 AM   #1

i knew this would be hard to stitch when i took it, far harder than the waterfall one, because of the angle of buildings and roofs and the lens distortion at very wide angle.

anyway about 4 hours work and im pretty happy with it, but as said it was a challange, but could not be shot without shooting as 3 images, i think one shot could have just covered the width of the canal at cameras widest angle

Gary

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:42 PM   #2

Splendid! With that kind of work you can do it would be hard to justify buying a very wide angle lens.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:00 PM   #3

trouble with very wide angle lens is that u get fish eye effect and also more sky and land than i like.

my oly e-300s standard lens is a 14-45 which is equivalent to 28-90 so its pretty handy

Gary
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:21 PM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Great picture. Very detailed. Very french. DonĀ“t know how you do these great panoramas. The outcome of your work is admirable

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:21 AM   #5

thank you very much torgny

im a long time user of photoshop (10 year) so really know what i can do with it, i basicly make canvas 3x wider (image/canvas size) and drag n drop all images onto it, its then the work starts LOL.

i do it that way as opposed to auto stitch because i sell my work and it needs to be perfect

have u ever looked at my site.... www.hd7.co.uk u can see shots much bigger but still not fullsize, but they have a watermark

i dont expect to get rich but i do like knowing people like what i do

Gary
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:42 AM   #6

Hey Gary,

That's a cracking pano, as would be expected coming from yourself!

Also much kudos deserved for your pano technique, a real purist! When arranging the various images do you use the distort/free transform commannd to allign the shots?

Cheers Matt
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:18 AM   #7

Yes a very nice pano and picture, great job
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:15 PM   #8

Superb pano Gary. Beautifully stitched (I do them automated or semi-automated - I don't have the patience for manual stitching like you) and a vibrant scene.

Ollie
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 5:58 AM   #9

hi ollie

anyone who knows me will tell u im not the most patient person in the world, but i can some how sit and edit my pics for hours as i know the effort is generaly worth it

i remember trying some auto stitch software a while ago and laughing at the pittyfull results, maybe ok for small pics on the net but not for 36 inch long ones!!

so i decided to do them by hand.......i can do em pretty quick these days depending on level of detail and level of zoom anything about 50mm is easy.......... i enjoy the editing as much as the taking of the pics

Gary
Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:34 AM   #10

As you read it in the comments above the appeal of the pano you acquired fully justifies your four- hour- sit :!:

Actually, shooting in wide end of the lenscould cause great deal of difficulty when stitching. So, I'd rather shoot 5 pictures @ 50mmm rather than, let's say, 3 pictures @28 mm to be stitched! I also had similar experience with various stitching softwares, and finally decideed to stick to manual stitching @ Photoshop.Ah, of course your far more extensive experince is so evident in your stitchworks!

Well done master
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote