Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:34 AM   #1

This is probably my favorite spot in the Canadian Rockies that I have been too. However, I am having a hard time deciding which one of these images I like better. I will hold off on telling which way I learn more towards until I get some feedback. I don't want to affect anyones opinion. Neither is wrong, but which do you like more and why?

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2007, 9:49 AM   #2

The only difference I can find is somewhat darker water at frame bottom in the second photo. Just an opinion, but that seems to finish the scene better than the lighter blue water.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:01 AM   #3

As JDar said, I also can only see that part being different. From the lighting/shadows/composition it looks like it's the same picture that has just been edited rather than two differently takenshots. Both are fantastic pictures, I would sway towards the first though as I think the darker water looks artificially dark, it doesn't look quite natural.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:43 AM   #4

It is true this is the same picture edited two different ways. However it needs to be said that I shot this scene several ways. With and without a polorizer. The non-polarized images turned out better. So I proceeded to edit the best one. However, I emulated the effect on the water that the polarizer had and compared my emulated effort with the real thing and both were quite comparable. So really this is a question of poloarized or non polarized? At least when it comes to darkening water. Thus the later image is the emulated polarized one.

As a side note, the polarizer had no real affect on the blue sky in this particualar scene and with the setting I was using so that is why the later image does not have a darkened blue sky. Of course the polarizer had some effect on the tree foliage but that is besides the point. Believe it or not the actual reflection stayed when using the polarizer. The angle must not have been right or the reflection too strong to be removed via polarizer. Of course, I wouldn't want it to be removed either.

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:37 PM   #5

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

nelmr

The mirrored mountains have more contrast. Normally I would have said that the mirrored should be a bit less contrasty, but here I donĀ“t know.

Great picture

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:22 PM   #6

Great shot!! I would have to pick the first as my favorite, the reson being the shadow area on the mountain looks more natural in the first shot to me.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote