Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 17, 2003, 9:22 PM   #1

Default First pic posted: Waterfall action

Please be gentle, its my first time! :lol:

On a side note, this is taken with my C750UZ using a Hoya polarized filter on the auto setting.... back before I actually read the manual to figure out what all the other pictures on the wheel ment. :P Its of Elbow Falls below the falls which meant I got to slide on my butt down a 70 degree hill about 200meters to the river, cross it then wade out into the middle to get the shot in water just above my knee and hope that my sandles didn't slip on a rock so that my nice new camera didn't get an unexpected bath.

On a side note, I need to learn to think about how I will get back up to the trail before leaving the trail to get a picture.

Edited pics for bandwidth savings.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2003, 9:36 PM   #2

Frankly, as a hiker you probably need some improvement especially in planning. However, as a photographer, you've got talent.

Pretty good. The horizon might be slightly off but then again when you're up to your skivvies in water that's the least of your problems. Liked the transparency of the water - perhaps a benefit of your filter.

Aloha.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 9:37 PM   #3

Oh man this is awesome! I was just going to ask how deep it is under the falls but then you beat me to it and said you DID slide down! Can you post some more pics from this session? Oh...beautiful picture. Thank you.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:19 AM   #4

selvin, yea I kind of forgot a little golden rule when your out in the mountains...and taking pictures. Getting to a potential photo oppertunity is not nearly as important as getting home from a potential photo oppertunity!

All in all the hardest part was trying to figure out where I came down from the ridge so I knew where to start climbing back out of the valley. I did not think I was that far down river. :P At least the actually climb out although physically more demanding was at least less dangerous.

You might be right about it being slightly off centered since I was mid-thigh in glacier feed water (the Elbow river feeds Calgary, a city of almost 1million about 80% of their freash water supply) standing on the rocks and bolder in my sandles trying to keep my balance and look through the lcd screen on the back of the camera. Not a great combination for getting the perfect shot. Now that I have my Wcon0.7 and a good tripod I want to go back and see what I can come up with. Unfortunately I won't be able to use the polarized filter since there would be no way to use it (55mm) and the wcon at the same time. :?

The filter I think made the shot since without it on I couldn't see the river-rocks you see in the forground in that picture. It also helped a tonne with the sky and actually getting some colour to come out. Thanks for the compliment and comments! I was actually a little affraid to post anything since I really have only been taking any sorts of decent quality pictures for about 3 weeks now.

Joshua B, The water where I was standing for that picture was about 28" deep I would say and I was on what you could call a sandbar. The falls are about 18-20' tall im my estimate and unfortunately are only getting shorter with each passing year of erosion. Apparently the water dirrectly below the falls is 20-22' deep with quite a decent undertow. I hiked along the ridge about a 1 km to find a slope I could actually make it down to the river valley floor and then had to hike upstream about 400meters to a wide point that wasn't to deep to get to the other side of the river to get close enough to the falls to take that shot.

I do have quite a few other shots but since its very close to a picknick area alot of the shots have paths and people in them. Hopefully come September when school is back in there won't be as may people out there so I can get some more shots from different angles. I have resized and touched up these two shots below:

Old Aug 18, 2003, 7:57 AM   #5

Oh so you slid down an embankment, not the waterfall. I gotcha. Too bad.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 9:50 AM   #6

Great first efforts, Tkmckay

Keep up the good work!

Having hiked up and thru many mtn streams, I can empathize
with your dilemma....

Get the photo or get back!

Stay safe, be careful and take more photos!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 3:00 PM   #7

Those are really beautiful shots!
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 7:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua B
Oh so you slid down an embankment, not the waterfall. I gotcha. Too bad.
:lol: Well....im not one to cliff jump in the first place, and with a 3 week old digital camera in hand I was scared just walking in the river so there wasn't I hope I would have gone down the actual falls themselves. Thanks for the comments everyone!

Well now that I have the wcon07 I think I may head off this evening to hike the falls once again and see what a sunset over the falls looks like. Wish me luck!