Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 19, 2003, 3:25 AM   #1

Default waterfall action: take2 (wcon-0.7)

I have wanted to go back to Elbow-Falls and take some more pictures (3 from the first attempt can be seen here) now that I have the Oly WCON-0.7 wide angle lens for my c-750uz. I also wanted to go at sunset to see if I could get some interesting colouration across the sky... which unfortunely didn't work out as planned. However I did get a chance to play with the aperture and expossure settings on the camera which I didn't get to do before bcause I didn't know what I was doing.

First impressions of the WCON-0.7: an amazing lens, and I wish I bought this first instead of the TCON-1.7 I can finally take the shots I want without compromising the angle. Now I just need to find an easy way to be able to use a polarized filter with the WCON-0.7.... Anyone have any ideas? Can I get a large diameter polarized filter that would just slip over the edges of the lens like the protective cover does?

Anyhow, onto a couple pictures from tonight....and my first long expossure water motion-blur attempts:

That shot was taken with the aperture at F8.0, shutter speed at 1/1.3sec, and iso50. Everything else with the camera was @ default/normal settings. I also touched it up a little.

This one was taken with the aperture @ F2.8, shutter @ 16seconds, [email protected] and some minor touching up on the computer.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2003, 4:19 AM   #2

Wow.
The second shot with a 16 second exposure and no readily visible digital noise is a tremendous feat.

I am not a a fan of the cottony flowing water effect but I must confess the water motion in the second shot is great.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 4:46 AM   #3

Wow i love those!!

Good job!
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 4:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvin
Wow.
The second shot with a 16 second exposure and no readily visible digital noise is a tremendous feat.

I am not a a fan of the cottony flowing water effect but I must confess the water motion in the second shot is great.

Aloha
Thank you selvin! I was quite shocked when I uploaded the pics to my computer this evening to see how they turned out. Do you think that because I took all of the pics I took tonight as tiff's that might be the reason for the lack of noise in the pics? I figure it would definately help, but even I was surprised by the results. I guess having the iso at 50 also helped out quite alot. The original pic without the touchup was quite a bit darker. At that point I couldn't even see what I was standing on when I was taking the picture. Thank goodness for my trusty caving, dual bulb headlamp!

Thank you Gimli!
Old Aug 19, 2003, 1:37 PM   #5

Tkmckay__

You already "know" one of the fine "lessons" and "hungers" about photography. You want to return to a familiar place ("friend") and
capture it in a new light...

Your return trip was not wasted.

I especially like the "curtain" of water flow/fall in the second pic.

You might want to consider a lil crop on the second one to remove
the railiing at the bottom. Imho...you will then completely convey
a magic moment!

You may want to consider selling off your two-wheeled steeds and
invest in photography!

Thanks again for sharing
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 5:54 PM   #6

Thank you digcamfan for the comments! Whats funny is even though ElbowFalls is only about a 45minute drive from my house I had never been there until the 4th of August. :P I also love the area cause its a chance for me to get some decent excersize getting down to the river floor.

I will try some cropping of the second pic to remove the rail. Thats one area I have yet to do any sort of work with. I actually couldn't even see the rail when I was taking the picture, or what I was standing on for that matter! :P But your right, I think it will look alot better without it in the shot.

The second shot is my favourite picture by far. I am still shocked by how well it turned out everytime I look at it, especially at its original resolution.
Quote:
You may want to consider selling off your two-wheeled steeds and invest in photography!
Could you clearify what you meant here? Maybe im still a little tired from yesterday and the brain isn't firing on all neurons yet.

added:
Whats really interesting about the second shot is I wasn't going to take it at all. I was on my way back to finding my car, was tired and cold from standing in the river for about 90minutes and hiking for about 2 hours including the always fun climb out of the valley to the ridge. I thought why not take a long expossure shot and see how it looks. I took it from a spot that I have taken shots from before during the day, freehand and before I had the wide angle lens so I could see and adjust the angle so I never had the rail in the shot. Now that I have seen how well it turned out I think I may become a little more of a night owl and try some more shots in and around the falls.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 8:15 PM   #7

Hi tkmckay...

You asked about my comment...

"You may want to consider selling off your two-wheeled steeds and invest in photography!"

In your other galleries, I chanced to see some of your motocross
photos so I just thought maybe, just maybe you could make
some serious $$ from your photos and be able to "retire"
from motocross (not that you would ).
Old Aug 19, 2003, 8:27 PM   #8

ops: Well, I guess I would have to take up motocross first to be able to retire from it. I think you have me mistaken for SpeedyManiac. No biggy. 8)
Quote:
just maybe you could make
some serious $$ from your photos
Although I like the sounds of that! The only issue I have is finding a connection I guess since I haven't really looked into that part of the photo process.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 1:55 PM   #9

Hey, tkmckay

You are right...I looked at one thread and commented on it on
another!

My bad. My apologies!