Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:05 PM   #11

All are fantastic great job
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 2:09 PM   #12

Beautiful shots Goomer...........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:24 PM   #13

Hello Goomer!

I was saying "wow wow wow" to myself in all the photos. They just seemed to get better and better. Great captures.

The last one is the best for me... the reflections of the sky and special clouds (variety of colours, texture, etc) in the water is really MAGICAL!

What equipment did you use to take these?

Well done!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:44 PM   #14

Thanks for the comments everyone, they're very very much appreciated.

Paul, these were all shot with my Nikon D80 w/ 18-70 Nikkor DX lens. Although there is some clipping in these shots, I prefer that to the sub par results I've been getting with my Cokin grey grad...I'm saving up for something better...it never made sense to me to put a $24 piece of resin in front of what was a $500.00 piece of glass.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 4:16 AM   #15

Hi Goomer, those really rock

The reflections especially really stand out, all round beautiful shots,

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 9:51 PM   #16

My o My I cant get over these photos !!! and no.3 is my fav..never have I seen such beauty..just breath taking..!!!!

thx for the post ...willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:29 PM   #17

goomer wrote
Quote:
Paul, these were all shot with my Nikon D80 w/ 18-70 Nikkor DX lens. Although there is some clipping in these shots, I prefer that to the sub par results I've been getting with my Cokin grey grad...I'm saving up for something better...it never made sense to me to put a $24 piece of resin in front of what was a $500.00 piece of glass.
Yes Goomer I know what you mean - about putting a cheap filter in front of an expensive lens. "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link"... though I have to admit I don't see any much real difference in using my UV filters or not... except for lens flare in some situations.

Then again I don't use grey grad filters at all! Nowadays I only use a UV filter on my lenses when I'm at the beach (to protect against sand / salt spray, etc) or in some other situations just to protect it (e.g. at children camps).

What you wrote about "some clipping" I don't really find objectionable in these set of photos... In fact I realise it's a matter of personal taste... but I prefer slight clipping in say some cloud areas (as you might have here) to losing too much detail in the dark / shadow areas. I have a friend who has a Nikon D50, and he's the opposite, he prefers photos which are SURE to have no white / bright clipping (highlights) and as a result with use less exposure (compare to my preference). Some other people feel his photos are a bit dark, while there are a few other viewers who have told him they appreciate him not having blown highlights....

I'd like to have seen if you would have applied HDR technique to the scenes above (taken multiple exposures and blended them to get a higher dynamic range output). Maybe next year?

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:47 AM   #18

goomer...I have applied a HDR technique with "tone mapping" to one of your stunning photo..and I hope you don't mind "I will remove it if you wish" as you can see on the left hand side of the photo the trees really come to life giving a nice overall balance of light to the photo....

HDR with Tone Mapping...

Attached Images

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote