Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:40 AM   #1

Greetings all!

It's not often that I would shoot a landscape at 135mm (35mm equivalent of 216mm, being the tele end of my 28-135mm lens on my Canon 350D / Rebel XT).

But I was at a coastal area near a cliff some time ago... it was the middle of winter, about 45 minutes south of Adelaide (south Australia), and saw some potential zooming in... thanks to the variety of colours and textures (moving grey/blueish sea, brown sandy beach, red / ochre coloured cliffs, smooth green hills, some trees and the sky & clouds).

And to top it off there was a car parked on the beach (I think that helps draw your eye in, add interest). There are also 2 people walking along the beach, just right of the photo's centre, but on this downsized (web) resolution photo they are almost invisible).

So, what do you think?

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2007, 7:40 AM   #2

Ah!Including the beautifully contrasting reddish and green colours and the yellow car,so lovely acomposition and very decent portrait orientation, actually

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 9:58 AM   #3

Very NICE! Wow, that car is tiny! :-)
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:46 PM   #4

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Greetings all!

It's not often that I would shoot a landscape at 135mm (35mm equivalent of 216mm, being the tele end of my 28-135mm lens on my Canon 350D / Rebel XT).

But I was at a coastal area near a cliff some time ago... it was the middle of winter, about 45 minutes south of Adelaide (south Australia), and saw some potential zooming in... thanks to the variety of colours and textures (moving grey/blueish sea, brown sandy beach, red / ochre coloured cliffs, smooth green hills, some trees and the sky & clouds).

And to top it off there was a car parked on the beach (I think that helps draw your eye in, add interest). There are also 2 people walking along the beach, just right of the photo's centre, but on this downsized (web) resolution photo they are almost invisible).

So, what do you think?

Paul
Very nice shot PJ, BTW welcome back hows the family
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 2:03 AM   #5

it is a nice composition, Paul. i wonder if the car belongs to the people in the photo? i like the colors... just wish there was a bit more "pop" to the light...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:10 PM   #6

Great shot!

And thanks. I forgot where I parked.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:21 PM   #7

Hello everyone!

bahadir

Thanks for your reply. Yes, you understand the contrasting colours I wanted to bring out...

Regards!

----------------------
cmoy

I appreciate your comments. Indeed the car DOES look tiny, almost like a toy placed there by some giant. But believe me it's a normal sized "human" version.

That's one reason why I like the shot, I think because the car (after a bit of a closer look) gives more perspective to it. The cliffs in the background are well over 100 metres (300 feet) high I'd guess (conservatively!). The trees on the distant hills are hug gum (eucalpyt) trees! Without the car, we could be led to believe it's an entirely different scene.

And with the "compression factor" of a telezoom lens (i.e. all the elements in the photo appear closer together than they actually are) This link gives one of the best descriptions and photo examples of what I mean!) http://www.photozone.de/4Technique/compose/focal.htm

So actually even this "end of the beach" captured in this shot is a very long stretch of beach... I'd say from the car to the far cliffs is 1.5 to 2 km (around 1 - 1.5 miles)... just the perspective is hard to realise from the photo!

----------------------
hercules

Hi Hercules! thanks for welcoming me "back"!

And I'm glad you like the photo.

Thanks for asking, my wife and myself are fine.... enjoying settling into Adelaide here in Australia. (though understandably we also miss many friends and my wife's relatives in Romania!)

See more of you back here!

Paul

----------------------
squirl033

Thanks for looking and providing your valued feedback.

Yes, from memory those two "dots" (people) did walk back to the car and eventually drive off (this beach has access and allows cars on it, many people were below where I was standing with their cars, doing beach fishing).

Glad you like the colours. Actually it was taken in very soft (winter afternoon / almost evening) light, and that's why there isn't much "pop"... so I guess I like the photo this way because it reminds me of how I remember / feel seeing it.

But you've given me an idea to try going back another time to get another perspective / view on this rugged beach (the setting spring or summer sun on it is a thought)! So thanks!!

Paul
Old Sep 23, 2007, 8:43 PM   #8

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

pj1974

Great photo. 9:16 is it? The car gives a sense of the dimensions as well as the depth. The portrait orientation is very well suited for landscape photography. We can see the result here in your picture

360 degrees vertical panorama would be something

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:40 PM   #9

Hi Torgny,

If you are referring to the proportions of the photo being 9:16, yes I cropped a bit of the left because of some distracting elements up the beach (sign, uneven sand, etc).

Glad you like the photo. Yes I am really glad the car was there to give the dimension of the photo / scene.

About a pano... I'll have to keep that in mind. I love the outcome of stitchwork, but sometimes the work that goes into it takes up a bit too much time! (all a matter of priorities, right?!)

What I'll really love to do is be out on a boat and capture a panorama (say at least 200 degrees) of the shoreline from that angle....!

Thanks for looking and for your feedback.

Paul

Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:03 PM   #10

Nice composition and colors.

Gisli
Gisli is offline   Reply With Quote