Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 23, 2007, 8:07 AM   #1

Hi Guys,

Just got back from a holiday in Spain so thought i'd start sharing some of my holiday snaps!

I did try to HDR this shot from multiple expsures but due to the obviuos time lapse I couldn't get the fisherman's rod to stay sharp. Instead i just used a single exposure.

I'm fairly happy with the results but would have been more satisfied if i could have avoided the central horizon, problem is i likes the rock at the front of the shot too much and wanted to keep it in the frame!

Please let me know what you think.

Many thanks, Matt.

longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:01 AM   #2

WOW! Great shot Matt!

BTW How do you HDR a photo?

Chris
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:48 AM   #3

cmoy wrote:
Quote:
WOW! Great shot Matt!

BTW How do you HDR a photo?

Chris
Hi Chris, I'm glad you like the shot!

To put it very simply a HDR (High Dynamic Range) photo is one that contains a greater tonal range than that which can be displayed in normal photos, ie it contains info in the shadows, midtones and highlights.

This is normally acheived by combining differently exposed photos into one image and then tone mapping the final shot to balance the exposure. This process can be done in PS CS2 upwards.

The above shot used only one RAW file so in reality is not really a HDR shot, as a single photo can not contain sufficient detail required for a high dynamic range.

To get the above effect, using PS i made multiple exposures of the RAW file for both the shadows and highlights and then blended them in PS.

For a more in depth explanation of HDR i suggest you do a google search, there is loads of info out there!

If you need any help then just drop me a PM.

Matt.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:02 AM   #4

Thanks for explaining HDR to me! I'll have to give it try when I get a computer that can handle PS CS2 and up :sad: Currently I'm using PS 7 :sad:

Chris
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:56 AM   #5

Another nice shot from you
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:57 AM   #6

longside1 wrote:
Quote:
I did try to HDR this shot from multiple expsures but due to the obviuos time lapse I couldn't get the fisherman's rod to stay sharp. Instead i just used a single exposure.
Any Gradual Blue used to reduce the contrast the sky has with the ground surface?

Very apocalyptic, indeed.The blue tone is intriguing and the guy out there ... hm Kurtz doing fishing, maybe.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 1:22 PM   #7

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:
longside1 wrote:
Quote:
Any Gradual Blue used to reduce the contrast the sky has with the ground surface?

Very apocalyptic, indeed.The blue tone is intriguing and the guy out there ... hm Kurtz doing fishing, maybe.
Thanks for the comments wk7leung, with regards the blue in the foreground, i can see what you mean but i think that that is a result of the overcast conditions as opposed to post processing.

When post processing, the sky and ground were treated seperately and then blended, adjustments to the sky therefore would not effect the ground, being done independantly.

Kurtz fishing, possible so, i love the smell of fried fish in the morning!