Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:51 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
hercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sparta, Greece
Posts: 2,649
Default

bahadir wrote:
Quote:






Dear Barbarian, thank you for the kind feedback!

Ialways heard praises about the ergonomicsof this camera but often thought lighter would be better...but not anymore! The extra 200gr or so makes this machine very balanced, solid and reliable. I caneven [email protected] exposure time of 1/8'' when the SR (shake reduction) is off!Moreover while playing with its features, changing lensor takingin or out,I don't feel tenseforI might drop it because there's always enough place left to handle it : ) Still, I wonder if I seriously considered upgrading if I hadagreat camera such as*istD...or buy a pentax 12-24 lens instead!!

As for the battery isue, I only had to recharge once after a five- day intensive use, which is very good I think! I remember drying up the battery of my compact within two days...

Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions about this beautiful baby:-)


That is the first thing i see in these pictures is better quality, let's see you shoot these with your S70 arkadias, i am also sure you like the IS feature as well, a very good buy congrats, and the pictures are stunning you have a very good lens as well (Sigma 17-70) i had that lens as well but now have sold it, now the only other lens on your menu should be a 70-300 and a 50 1.8 or 1.4 prime, it seems on my 400D although i have 2 batteries they seem to last forever like yours does
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 4:51 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

Jim1957 wrote:
Quote:
Its my profession, photography is my hobby. The old avatar looked too washed out, i's hard to get a good exposure with a black lab. I don't have many pix of myself as I am always on the other side of the camera. My FO took the current avatar flying over the Catskill mountains in New York. They were snow covered hence the highlights are completely blown.
Thanks for the elaboration, Jim! How nice a profession complementing your hobby : )

.................................................. ..........................

Joenl wrote:
Quote:
These are truely fine shots. I am especially taken by #1 and 5. Like yourself I have been frustrated by the inability to take hand held photos at a moments notice because of low light conditions. I have seen the chatter about the upgrading of higher iso images but not until I see shots such as these am I convinced that it is time to move on from the 10D.
All the best,
Joe, thank you for your kind comment indicating alsothe favourites! I'm glad these imagesproved to behelpful for your decision. Oh, I remember observing hundreds of pictures, comparisons so as to stiffen my resolve:-)

.................................................. ....................................

Hercules wrote:
Quote:
That is the first thing i see in these pictures is better quality, let's see you shoot these with your S70 arkadias, i am also sure you like the IS feature as well, a very good buy congrats, and the pictures are stunning you have a very good lens as well (Sigma 17-70) i had that lens as well but now have sold it, now the only other lens on your menu should be a 70-300 and a 50 1.8 or 1.4 prime, it seems on my 400D although i have 2 batteries they seem to last forever like yours
I'm glad to hear the better quality attained, arkadaşOK, I'll send some comperative images soon! As for IS feature, I think it would be fair to say now I have a Sigma 17-70 IS ! considering thatI canshoot @ 1/2 sec.whereas I coulddo it @ 1/8 sec. with my S70previously:-)Your menu suggestion sounds deliciousI can also have a 10-20mm as a starter!Btw, thanks also for remindingme a second battery, which would verywise to buy!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:06 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
hercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sparta, Greece
Posts: 2,649
Default

bahadir wrote:
Quote:

.................................................. ....................................

Hercules wrote:
Quote:
That is the first thing i see in these pictures is better quality, let's see you shoot these with your S70 arkadias, i am also sure you like the IS feature as well, a very good buy congrats, and the pictures are stunning you have a very good lens as well (Sigma 17-70) i had that lens as well but now have sold it, now the only other lens on your menu should be a 70-300 and a 50 1.8 or 1.4 prime, it seems on my 400D although i have 2 batteries they seem to last forever like yours
I'm glad to hear the better quality attained, arkadaşOK, I'll send some comperative images soon! As for IS feature, I think it would be fair to say now I have a Sigma 17-70 IS ! considering thatI canshoot @ 1/2 sec.whereas I coulddo it @ 1/8 sec. with my S70previously:-)Your menu suggestion sounds deliciousI can also have a 10-20mm as a starter!Btw, thanks also for remindingme a second battery, which would verywise to buy!
I was also thinking of either the Sigma 10-20 orSigma12-24 but don't know which way to go both seem nice, yes you do have a 17-70 IS but my camera needs lenses that are IS that's why i bought the 17-85 IS
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 7:12 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

hercules wrote:
Quote:
I was also thinking of either the Sigma 10-20 orSigma12-24 but don't know which way to go both seem nice, yes you do have a 17-70 IS but my camera needs lenses that are IS that's why i bought the 17-85 IS
Tough decision really! But 2'' wider view really matters, even 1'' in some cases!Considering also thelighter weight of the 10-20,the great pics by Gisli with it eh and theprice difference ( roughly 750 vs. 450 Euros) makes it a bit easier to make up my mind :-)

Btw, 17-85 is avery usablezoom range as long as the quality is retained

I am using the 70mm end of mine more often than I thought, so I'm happy to have skipped the kit lens!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 2:40 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
hercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sparta, Greece
Posts: 2,649
Default

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:
I was also thinking of either the Sigma 10-20 orSigma12-24 but don't know which way to go both seem nice, yes you do have a 17-70 IS but my camera needs lenses that are IS that's why i bought the 17-85 IS
Tough decision really! But 2'' wider view really matters, even 1'' in some cases!Considering also thelighter weight of the 10-20,the great pics by Gisli with it eh and theprice difference ( roughly 750 vs. 450 Euros) makes it a bit easier to make up my mind :-)

Btw, 17-85 is avery usablezoom range as long as the quality is retained

I am using the 70mm end of mine more often than I thought, so I'm happy to have skipped the kit lens!
Yes maybe the 10-20 would be better arkadias, as far as the 17-85 it is pretty sharp i really like it
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 2:49 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,699
Default

congratulations, Bahadir! i've seen some wonderful work done with the K10D, and i'm sure in your hands it will perform admirably! that anti-shake feature really is nice to have, and if i hadn't been already "locked in" to the Canon system when the K10D came out, i would have consideredit very seriously indeed. the only disadvantage, from what i've heard, is that Pentax doesn't have as wide a selection of lenses, and they are often very expensive compared to other brands.

i agree with Paul, some of those wonderful, atmosphericevening shots do seem to tilt a bit... but i'm sure once you become accustomed to looking at the world through a viewfinder, rather than an LCD, you'll not have that little problem anymore...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:50 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Yes maybe the 10-20 would be better arkadias, as far as the 17-85 it is pretty sharp i really like it
What is good for you also good for me, arkadaş ; )

Indeed, I saw some sharp and well saturated low light indoors shots with the 17-85 IS which almost convinced me to buy alight weight(also in price nowadays!!) 350Dbundled with it:-)

.................................................. .............................

Squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
congratulations, Bahadir! i've seen some wonderful work done with the K10D, and i'm sure in your hands it will perform admirably! that anti-shake feature really is nice to have, and if i hadn't been already "locked in" to the Canon system when the K10D came out, i would have consideredit very seriously indeed. the only disadvantage, from what i've heard, is that Pentax doesn't have as wide a selection of lenses, and they are often very expensive compared to other brands.

i agree with Paul, some of those wonderful, atmosphericevening shots do seem to tilt a bit... but i'm sure once you become accustomed to looking at the world through a viewfinder, rather than an LCD, you'll not have that little problem anymore...
I'm happy to read yourkindcomments : ) Thank you also for reminding me about the tilting issue!Looking at the world through the viewfinder opposed to an LCD really is really a much better experience...

As for the wide lens selection,the 10-20 sigma as wediscussed above with Hercules and the Pentax 12-24 are there! The latter isconsidered to be more resistant to flare and lighter than the renowned Tokina 12-24 equivalent with some price difference you mentioned! I'm sure you're also familiar with the unique 'pancake' prime series by Pentax.However, you're right in general. Canon's lens choice is great considering the third party also! For example, when I was about to buy my camera I really wished the 17-50 f/2.8 Tamron could fit Pentax. But, alas..!



bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:38 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 781
Default

Bahadir, great shots! congratulations on your new camera ... you are making it sing!!!

Drew
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 1:10 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

drewaz wrote:
Quote:
Bahadir, great shots! congratulations on your new camera ... you are making it sing!!!

Drew
Thank you my friend!I'm happy to hear your kind greeting : ) We have the same background: S70,and you took the lead in makingthe DSLR sing!

Cheers to Sedona, AZ
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 4:54 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Gisli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 500
Default

Congrats on your new camera bahadir and a great set of pictures.

Gisli.
Gisli is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:01 PM.