Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:48 AM   #11

Hi Hercules,

It was 30 degrees today! This is the 5th day of the "spring" of this year that we have reached or exceeded 30 degrees Celsius! Summer is coming... so I guess if you visit within the next 7 months we'll be having a COOL drink! Consistent beach weather is almost here...

Sadly though, at the same time many parts of Australia (including Adelaide) are in desparate need of more rainfall, and it is already being called a "drought" even when we're only half way through spring!! :-?

Regards!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 4:32 AM   #12

Great shots and scenes rich in colour and neatly presented

.........................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:25 AM   #13

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Hercules,

It was 30 degrees today! This is the 5th day of the "spring" of this year that we have reached or exceeded 30 degrees Celsius! Summer is coming... so I guess if you visit within the next 7 months we'll be having a COOL drink! Consistent beach weather is almost here...

Sadly though, at the same time many parts of Australia (including Adelaide) are in desparate need of more rainfall, and it is already being called a "drought" even when we're only half way through spring!! :-?

Regards!

Paul
Pj, wish i could this year but this year i have to go back to Seattle for tax season, boy the dollar is killing me here since i live by the dollar;(
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:10 PM   #14

Adelaide looks like a lovely city... and that river seems a great spot to relax! i can see why you enjoy it there, though i confess a preference forsomewhat... shall we say, less crowded?...spots myself!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:01 AM   #15

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Adelaide looks like a lovely city... and that river seems a great spot to relax! i can see why you enjoy it there, though i confess a preference forsomewhat... shall we say, less crowded?...spots myself!
Hi Squirl033,

Thanks for looking and commenting... I am of course biased as a current "resident" of Adelaide, but I think it's fair to say it is a lovely city and indeed the river area is a relaxing place. In fact Adelaide has consistently been rated by various polls and "quality of life" indexes (e.g. Mercer) as one of the top cities in the world to live in.

About your preference for a somewhat less crowded existence (or places to "be in" or perhaps to "escape to").. this is one reason I love Adelaide. While it is a city of 1.1 million people, it has a real relaxed town feel to it, and is VERY easy to drive in (wide, generally uncrowded roads), has low pollution levels and has great natural environment nearby. To the east lie the Adelaide hills, to the west is the Southern Ocean (with about 50kms of beaches stretching along Adelaide's shoreline), to the south the Fleurieu Peninsula, and the north starts to open towards Australia's vast great outback....

I lived in London for 6 years, and have visited many countries and cities including other cities that list in the top "quality of life" index reviews. Of course many of these factors are very subjective. For example some people feel uncomfortable when temperatures regularly exceed 30 degrees celcius, whereas others (like me) much prefer the occasional days Adelaide of 35 - 40 degrees in the summer, with winter being a mild 15 - 20 degrees. Some people "need" the big names, historical streets and concerts... to "make" the place they live in "be alive"...... while others don't.

My personal perspective... one of the most annoying things about living in London for me that it seemed to take so much effort (and time) to get out of the city to real "countryside" (or even moreso to get to anywhere I would call "wilderness". South east England is so densely populated. Very different to Tasmania where I grew up. Now I'm not saying that London is a bad place at all... in fact in many ways I loved it... and learned a lot about being in (arguably) the world's most cosmopolitan city. Living in Cluj-Napoca in Romania for about 4 years (a city of about half a million), I was glad that I was able to get out of the city much easier than living in central London (probably because Cluj-Napoca it is physically so much smaller)...

However yes, there are probably things in all places we "like and hate"! Making the most of the opportunities is an important attitude and life-skill! So what I'm just writing in reflection (and with empathy) to squirl's post above, is that for me now (and I guess especially as a married man, and about 12 years older than when I first lived in London) I appreciate the ability to live in a ("decent sized") city some city features, sufficient (but not too much "buzz" as well as career opportunities that a small metropolis presents, but still be able to get to quiet and scenic places of nature within a short amount of time (and little money). So in that way, Adelaide offers my wife and I (as a person and a photographer) a lot... both in the variety of natural beauty around and in its accessibility!

Anyway, I've written enough... (or rather "I've rambled on enough!"). More (impartial) information about Adelaide can be seen here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide

And as the saying goes, a pictures speaks a thousand words... so in the next 4 posts I'll share a few thousand words of "nearby Adelaide landscape scenes" to compliment what I've written above.... according to the 4 points of the compass!

Thanks for reading (and viewing!) all!!

Paul
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:05 AM   #16

North... one of Adelaide's water reservoir's about 20 minutes north of the city centre.

edit: Please excuse the poor quality "simple snapshot" nature of these photos... just to give you a quick impression of Adelaide and it's nearby surroundings.... Paul
Attached Images

Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:06 AM   #17

East...

Waterfall Gully reserve, about 15 minutes drive easterly from the city centre.
Attached Images

Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:07 AM   #18

South...

Here is another reserve / reservoir area... about 30 minutes south from where we live (about 40 minutes south of the city).

edit... sorry about my shadow, but it was otherwise impossible to get the scene at wide angle without my shadow (or spending time cloning it out)!! :?
Attached Images

Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:11 AM   #19

West...

last but not least, west... the waters of the South Ocean (in the Gulf St Vincent) meeting the land... this particular beach called "West Beach" (what an original, insightful name!!)

This beach is about 10 to 15 minutes west of the city centre.

Thanks again all... hope my posts in this thread haven't been too boring!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:40 AM   #20

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hello All,

A few weekends ago my wife and I went for a walk on (as we often do)... this time along the river Torrens, the river which runs through the centre of Adelaide.

Here are some landscape photos taken from that day. The day was clear, peaceful, warm and very pleasant. We've found the river is a great place to enjoy walks along, and see people enjoying themselves: feeding birds, on the river in canoes, kayaks or "water-bicycles". We also enjoy just walking amongst the trees, and seeing the green grass.

Hope you enjoy these photos. They aren't fantastic photos... sorry, but just thought it might still be worth to share some springtime sun snapshots with those of you who are now in autumn (fall) there in the Northern hemisphere!

Any feedback or comments, gladly received!

All photos taken with a 28-135mm Canon lens on my Canon 350D, with polariser.

Paul
Oh, such clarity, such colours, such composition, such ....... everything.

Great photography

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote