Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:10 PM   #1

Hello everyone,

It has been a while. Here is one of the last shots with my Nikon D200. My camera was stolen last Saturday night from my vehicle while on a photography vacation to Olympic National Park. I never made it as I was shooting all the lighthouses along the way.

I notified Nikon with the serial number and if it is ever sent in for service they are suppose to notify authorities. I know it will never happen but made me feel better to do it. They actually have a database you can submit to and they track all cameras that come in against it.

I am working to settle with the insurance guys.. oh what a joy. Will be back up when I get either a D3 or D300.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by Curmudgeon; Jul 22, 2012 at 1:49 AM.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:42 AM   #2

Curmudgeon wrote:
Quote:
Hello everyone,

It has been a while. Here is one of the last shots with my Nikon D200. My camera was stolen last Saturday night from my vehicle while on a photography vacation to Olympic National Park. I never made it as I was shooting all the lighthouses along the way.

I notified Nikon with the serial number and if it is ever sent in for service they are suppose to notify authorities. I know it will never happen but made me feel better to do it. They actually have a database you can submit to and they track all cameras that come in against it.

I am working to settle with the insurance guys.. oh what a joy. Will be back up when I get either a D3 or D300.

Cheers,

Bill
So sorry to hear your camera was stolen! Unfortunately, camerasmake suchattractive targets for thievesBut I think you tookgood measure because after the camera has been sold (this is mostlythe reasonthey are stolen), the new owner would probably bring it to the service for sensor cleaning or such...Btw, thanks for sharing the good idea! I also understand that it was insurancedwhich isa relief! Then, enjor your new Nikon!

As for the picture, it is the perfect shot for me in terms of clarity, colour and composition
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 5:09 AM   #3

Really sorry to hear about your camera being stolen, next time either have it on you or in your trunk and i hope you find a solution with the insurance, but as for these 2 pictures they are spectacular especially the first one great capture, and as for this lighthouse shot i like it better than the first one in your other topic
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 5:33 AM   #4

Curmudgeon wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Bahadir. I will try but being without my camera for a couple of months will be hard. It also ruined my two week holiday. I simply returned home.
People usually tend to ignore the social costwhich canwell surpass the material cost inmany cases such as yours :!: Ah! btw, I seeanother good excuse for keeping a back up (maybe a 350D with a tammy 17-50 for me!)
Quote:
Same lighthouse with the romance of a stormy sea...
Well, indeed!How vigorous a romance!!The light passing throughthe waves brings the adorable colour also

Btw, I'd like to see a bigger version of the 1st picture enough to make a wallpaper:-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 5:48 PM   #5

Hi Bill,

I also sympathise with the loss of your stolen camera! Very sorry to hear.... I do hope the insurance process would allow you recovery out of the event!

Do let us know how you go with the outcome... the Nikon D300 and D3 are certainly good offerings that will be available soon from Nikon!

About the actual photos, I love both of them. Colours in the first one are magical, as is the cloud hovering above the setting sun.

The second one has "sea power" written all over it- and I love the curl in the falling wave.. but I can't help but feel with a bit of extra contrast and saturation it would be even better.

All the best... and again, hope you'll be back up and shooting soon!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:57 PM   #6

very sorry to hear about your camera, Bill... i hope your insurance covers the loss. but my, what a shot that first one is! the colors, the contrast with the pilings and reflections in the foreground... composition and DOF spot on... just marvelous! the second one is good as well, but i must agree with Paul, a bit more contrast and saturation would give it more "punch".
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:44 PM   #7

i like it... definitely has more "pop"...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:37 AM   #8

Man, that is too bad. I hope you can replace your gear soon so we can continue to see you great pictures.

Drew

drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 6:43 AM   #9

Sorry to hear about your stolen camera Bill. Hope you can get it replaced quickly.

The first shot is just plain awesome-, and the 2nd is very good too. Excellent shooting...cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 2:02 PM   #10

Stolen....Grrrrr :evil:, may the swine be stricken with open soars and festering boils. I hate thievery.
I am with the others, those are really fine shots. I am sure you are looking forward to your replacement. I, myself, am waiting for the D300 I pre-ordered in early Sept. I hope you get back to shooting soon,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote