Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 26, 2003, 6:49 PM   #1

Default My first sunrise picture.....

Well I got up at about 4:15am this morning to see if the sky would be clear enough to get some decent sunrise pictures from one of my favourite places I have found on earth: the "drive on at your own risk" road that leads to a fire lookout. Its about 66km's west of Calgary and on a clear day, during the day you can see Calgary's downtown core with the naked eye. Its also a great spot for catching some amazing sunrises.

Although this mornings sunrise was not the best I have seen, it was the best I have seen in my 4 trips up to the fire lookout this summer. Here is what I thought turned out to be one of the better shots I took this morning:

Not the best picture, I know... but its a start. Since I have a week off work and before school starts again for me I think I will be spending a few very cool mornings up there in the hopes of catching the sunrise.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:17 AM   #2

mckay,

As you said it won't win any prizes but a good start. I can imagine you freezing your tootsies off waiting for the right moment to take a shot and it doesn't happen as you planned.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 1:17 AM   #3

selvin, it definately was surprisingly cold up there. Thank goodness the c-750uz comes with a remote control!

Its really to bad that there are so many forest fires burning in BC and Alberta this year. They used to have a sign at that lookout point explaining the distances everything you could see were away from your location. On extremely clear days you can sometimes see foothills 150km's away..... its really quite amazing. Unfortunately I don't think that will be had this year.

I decided to post this sunrise pic as a starting point to share. I'm still figuring out how to shoot sunrises/sunsets with this camera and don't have it down pat just yet....at all. :P Hopefully I will have some better pictures to add into this topic in the near future.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 9:09 AM   #4

what camera do you use?
Robin Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 2:47 PM   #5

Olympus C-750uz.... Which I almost always use with a hoya 55mm polarized filter and the wcon-07 wide angle lens.