Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:22 AM   #21

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
....you can try the trial download here: http://www.hdrsoft.com/download.html
Make sure to click the "align images" option....
Thanks for the tips.

I was delighted with the tonal result from 2 images I'm working on with 2 days to go in the current "seasonal colors" challenge. As I've said somewhere in that forum, they are a pair from a set of hand-held bracketed images and I'd rotated a fraction between shots. The result so far has slight double vision at one end; every tree has a pair of trunks. It may be good enough when I resize. I shall certainly it a lot when I use a tripod.

In a large fraction of my 1400 summer holiday shots, I was repeatedly frustrated by the wildly different exposures for an ideal sky & an ideal foreground. Mostly I settled on the dramatic sky version. When I returned we were on the 'backlighting & silhouettes' challenge, so I was well placed. However, I now realise I must go back and re-examine all sets of bracketed shots.

I want to explore this simple method first, before moving on to proper HDR, which only be on jpg files in my case anyway.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 2:18 PM   #22

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:
These are great HDRs i like all of them, I've never did a HDR so i might just try it as well, Oh and do get at least 8 hours of sleep a night that's when your body loves to recover
Hi Hercules!

Thanks for appreciating these photos.

Well, I'm sure you'll be able to make some great HDR's! Looking forward to your post....

"recover"... from what? Work, play? :| Or photography?

Thanks for looking!!

Paul
Recover from everyday life would'nt you say, about HDRs thanks for the nice comment but i think it'll take some practice
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:50 AM   #23

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
In a large fraction of my 1400 summer holiday shots, I was repeatedly frustrated by the wildly different exposures for an ideal sky & an ideal foreground. Mostly I settled on the dramatic sky version.
Hi Alan,

Yes, your experience above presents what I think is one of the greatest current challenges for (particularly landscape) photographers: dynamic range. As I understand DSLR's still don't quite have the same dynamic range as film, though they have many other benefits / advantages.

It's convenient that we can "gather" some dynamic range (both in RAW and JPEG files) through a number of techniques, e.g. using the shadow / highlight tool as well as the HDR (using multiple exposed bracketed shots). Blown skies / too dark "non sky" area of many landscapes is a challenge.

I know there are also other areas of photography (e.g. portrait, wildlife, even macro) which would benefit from cameras which can handle greater dynamic range. That's one reason studio lighting is used, to give a smoother and softer (and that is "less dynamic range" of) light.

Some people use gradient filters to handle the "blown out sky" - but this is not always useful or accurate either.

Anyway, I can see HDR being useful in many occasions, but the technique needs to be mastered to get the best outcome (like all other aspects of photography)!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:16 AM   #24

Now I'll post the "original" photos that I used to create the HDR images, as well as the HDR image.

Each "set" (group of 3 of the same scene) comprises of the preceding 2 jpeg photos, which were exposed +/- 2 EV and THEN the HDR image. That is first "darker" JPEG photo might have been at -2 EV exposure compensation, the second "lighter" JPEG photo was at 0 EV and finally the HDR image (third scene of each set, being a "HDR combination of the 2 JPEGs). Or the JPEGs might have been 0 EV and 2 EV respectively, again with the resulting HDR last in each set. (hope this makes sense!)

I'll include all these "jpeg original photos" as well as the HDR "outcome / image" in this one post, using the "insert image" (linking to a photo hosting site).... That way it is easier to see the 2 jpeg images and then straight away the HDR output after them.

So here goes... and I hope all will work well with these many "insert images" (as usually I just attach images separately, one per post)....

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

-----------------------------------

-------------------------------------------

Thanks for looking and for your interest everyone...

Comments on these are very welcome!!

Kind regards,

Paul
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:12 AM   #25

As they say, an image is worth a thousand words, my friend!You've done a pretty good job in displayed the virtues of HDR and yourattaining this technique

The more EV +/- you bracket (4 or more)themore fantasticoutcome you gain, I suppose!

Btw, I'd like to congratulate your position of manager in a governmentdepartment in Australia. They are lucky not to have missed an all rounder like yourself

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:00 AM   #26

Nice series............. think I'll try one as well :-).............musket

Attached Images

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:00 PM   #27

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
As they say, an image is worth a thousand words, my friend!You've done a pretty good job in displayed the virtues of HDR and yourattaining this technique

The more EV +/- you bracket (4 or more)themore fantasticoutcome you gain, I suppose!

Btw, I'd like to congratulate your position of manager in a governmentdepartment in Australia. They are lucky not to have missed an all rounder like yourself
Thanks for looking Bahadir!

Well with my previous post... there are several thousand word's worth then!!! :-)

I have found that there is an effective limit to the amount of EV +/- that is useful. With the Photomatix at least, if the difference is too great, some areas turn out "grey" and loose their colour and detail. But having a number of variously exposed photos to choose from will give the optimum result (e.g. -3 EV, -2 EV, -1 EV, 0 EV, 1 EV, 2 EV, 3EV and choosing the best 2 of these....)

Or maybe combining 3 or 4 photos... but I've never done more than 2. I've only produced HDR's using 2 in Photoshop as well as 2 in Photomatix.

Thanks for your most kind compliments about my new job. I'm very happy with the job, but still "learning the ropes" in many ways. Keeping me busy and thankful!

Paul

Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:01 PM   #28

Musket,

Thanks for your edit / try!

I like it, maybe in some ways an improvement on my version, but it does look a bit too saturated (at least on my monitor!)

Regards

Paul
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:30 AM   #29

Hi all....

I maybe forgot to mention, the jpeg photos are "straight out of the camera image".... that is not post processed at all (I just had saturation, contrast and sharpness notched up in camera).

That will explain their colours, etc as displayed here on the internet.

Sticking with the original title: "5 quick n nasty HDR's"... I really didn't spend much time in producing the final (HDR) imagines.

Could I have improved upon them with more composition time, using a tripod and post processing? Yes!

Will I hope to do that sometime in the future? Yes!!

Cheers...

Paul