Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 2, 2007, 1:57 PM   #1

Hello all!

Can't sleep (I'm basically an insomniac since birth... my fraternal (non-identical) twin brother makes up for my lack of sleep though!)... so I spent a few early morning minutes making some high dynamic range photos using the free / trial version of Photomatix.

All these photos taken the other weekend while I was at a botanic garden (150year anniversary celebration), and amongst taking lots of other (normal) photos I decided to try some exposure compensation photos using my 350D Canon at 3fps (handheld).

I really didn't spend long in either the taking (composing) or blending of these photos... just let Photomatix do its work to see what was possible with minimal effort....

What do you think?

Paul

edit... comments, feedback AND any input or advice appreciated..!

Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2007, 1:58 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2007, 1:59 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2007, 1:59 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2007, 2:02 PM   #5

I really must state there WAS a large amount of dynamic range captured by these exposure compensated photos... the outputs you see here wouldn't have been possible without blending photos (shadows/highlights from 2 separately taken and differently exposed photos using the Photomatix program).

Should I get some more time a bit later (after some sleep) I might upload the original photos to show you (each set with one blown sky and one with too dark "ground details")....

Thanks for lookin'... and yes your comments / feedback / suggestions will be appreciated!!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2007, 2:29 PM   #6

Not bad at all. I dont know what you mean by down and dirty, thats the way they are all done using Photomatix. I suggest using more than 2 exposures next time. You want enough exposures to cover the complete range in the photo. By the way you said yours was a trial version. The mac puts a grid all over it and the PC puts watermarks on it when saved. Did you manage to clone them out?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 2:42 PM   #7

These are brilliant!

All I want is to combine the correct exposures I can get for the foreground, with the correct exposures I can get for the sky. I've been trying to do this using the top and bottom of 3-shot bracketing, using cut&paste in PSP, with not a lot of success, because I can always see the join. I know I can fix that by learning about layers and masks, but ifsoftware cando it free, yes, please!

Most hdr images I have seen are over the top, and look unreal to me. These look just right,; not very different from what I perceived at the time. Thanks!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 6:29 PM   #8

I think this is what you mean Alan. This is a one click in Photoshop.
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2007, 8:06 PM   #9

I think you have done an excellent job Paul! I agree with Alan about most hdrs looking over the top.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:54 PM   #10

I agree over the top. However, HDR is in its infancy stages with digital photography. When the controls are understood better it wont be so obvious and the quality of the pics will improve a lot. IMO. and I reserve the right to be called an idiot.

By the way, all of the HDRs here by pj if put through Photoshop Highlight/Shadow a single click will fix the dark areas and actually darken the sky a bit giving more detail.