Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:29 AM   #1

Hello there everyone!

Well these won't be the wonderful Iceland scenery or experienced-quality that Gisli graciously shares with us, but this is one of my first serious attempts at night time photography.

The scenes are all from Glenelg Beach, Adelaide, South Australia - yesterday (Saturday 17th November 2007). Tripod mounted (of course!) and it was actually quite windy, so I steadied the tripod by holding it (as sometimes the wind caused the tripod and camera to shudder).

The night sky was very dark (and clear)... with just the faintest hint of where the sun had set sunk below the sea-horizon (an hour or so beforehand).

Comments and feedback gladly welcomed!

#1 Looking northwest from Glenelg beach prominade towards the Glenelg Jetty.
I was standing on a walkway, looking towards the Glenelg jetty.

30 seconds exposure, f8, ISO 200, Sigma 10-20mm lens on Canon 350D camera.

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:31 AM   #2

#2 Looking south / south-west from Glenelg Jetty (the same jetty as in the previous photo. I took photo #1 standing near the 5th pine tree from the left in this photo).

10 seconds exposure, f9, ISO 200, Sigma 10-20mm lens on Canon 350D camera.

Attached Images

Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:32 AM   #3

#3 Looking north / north-east from the same jetty.

I could just make out there were some seagulls on the beach... thankfully they didn't move much during this (long) exposure!! I think it adds an interesting element to the photo!

10 seconds exposure, f8, ISO 200, Sigma 10-20mm lens on Canon 350D camera.
Attached Images

Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:39 AM   #4

#4 - tree (I think it's a Norfolk Pine... but not 100% sure) looking northwest (I think it is the 2nd tree from the left as seen in the 2nd photo).

To give you an idea how dark it was, I could not make out the top of the tree. I could only see the trunk / base of the tree which was lit up from nearby lighting, and some of the lower branches.

The "light" near the top of the tree is actually the moon!

10 seconds exposure, f8, ISO 400, Sigma 10-20mm lens on Canon 350D camera.

Thanks for looking everyone!... and I look forward to reading your thoughts!

Kind regards

Paul
Attached Images

Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:06 AM   #5

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Glenelg Beach, Adelaide, South Australia
Great images! You're inspiring me to have a go myself. Thanks for the exposure details.

Before these shots, I felt I didn't have enough distant scenery to try and 'do a Gisli'. Our skies, which were wonderfully dark not long ago, are now polluted by the sodium vapourlampyou can see on the church in some of my local shots. I hate it, but the old(er) folks like it.North & west we have big city glow. Southwards we're very dark, but that's because there's a hill in the way.

But if I can stir myself, I'll try a night expedition into my favourite field, or even up the hill. (There's no city to the south.)

Do you know about the original Glenelg, which is a wonderful place, with Icelandic-style scenery, and two of mainland Scotland's greatest antiquities. See...

http://www.glenelg.co.uk/and http://www.skyeferry.co.uk/

If you just popped across the planet to there, there'd be good night shots, when (occasionally) it isn't raining.

In fact, it's 'Glenelg-Arnisdale', with most of the same letters as 'Glenelg-Adelaide'!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:14 AM   #6

They look great pj1974 I had to look at them twice to see they were indeed Glenelg- Adelaide. Its amazing how these night shots can really change the feel/atmosphere of a location. Well done.

MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:11 AM   #7

Very nice pj1974. I too really like the night time exposure. The first shot is really beautiful - looks like stars dancing on the boardwalk.....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:45 PM   #8

You have the wonderful Sigma 10-20! Hope you found a good copy right from the start! As with Don, I also liked #1 best...I can seeon the beach as well as in the sky, you had the the camera capturethe lights from th e sun which set an hourago! The texture of the stone on the right bottom corner also looks so eye pleasing, complementing that on the sand associating theaerial view of Egyptiansand stone hills
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 5:57 AM   #9

Thanks Alan, Steve, Don & Bahadir for your replies!

I will respond accordingly to each of you...

---------------

Alan,

Yes, I know what you mean about light pollution. I grew up in a smallish but well spread out town of 60,000 (Launceston Tasmania) which didn't have much light pollution. When I lived in Europe I realised what a difference that is... also especially at first the yellow / orange lights / glow annoyed me (giving everything at night an unnatural colour (Australia still has many more "white lights" than Europe).

Please do try some night photography, and share with us. Even if you have to travel a bit afield from Chester, it can be worth it!! Feel free to PM me if I haven't responded after the first few days of your post (just to help "focus me"). Busy settling into my new job... but we all need balance.

Actually yes, I've actually been to Glenelg (via hire car) in Scotland on my travels to remote parts of the western as well as highlands & islands areas. I've been to Skye about 6 times, I have many friends in Kyle of Lochalsh & Plockton (not too far from the UK Glenelg). I've visited many parts of the UK that many UK born folks haven't been to - including Chester - (but that was part of my previous charity based work). Then again, I know many tourists have come to Australia and seen many places here "Down Under" I've not seen! Such is life!!

Interesting how you picked up on the similarity of letters between Arnisdale and Adelaide! Another interesting fact (maybe you know) Glenelg can be spelled forwards and backwards the same way (I've just forgotten the literary term for that...)

edit... sorry I forgot to say, thanks for your kind remarks about the photos, and I'm glad you like them. Happy to "inspire you". Of course Gisli is a master inspirer in this field!

Cheers,

Paul
Old Nov 19, 2007, 6:08 AM   #10

G'day Steve!

Yes indeed, it is Glenelg South Aussie.. and I agree, such night time photos do look different to DAY ones!!

Thanks for viewing and giving your kind comments!

Just to show everyone the daylight version of the "nightshot" photos numbered 2 and 3 above.. here are the "sunlight" equivalents!!

Paul
Attached Images