Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:24 AM   #1

Hello all,

Here is a photo I took recently of a quite place bay area just south of Adelaide, in Australia.

I particularly like the number of horizontal elements in this photo (sky/horizon, sea, lines of swell in the sea, the seagulls and the plants in the foreground).

I had initially taken a photo just of the boat and the sea/sky horizon at aperture setting f10... Then I wanted to include the plants too, but they were out of focus (as I had zoomed to 135mm on my Canon 350), so I changed the aperture to a rather extreme setting of f18.

It was then that the seagulls came into view, so I took a few photos as they flew through the scene. this is my favourite outcome.

What do you all think?

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2007, 2:29 PM   #2

Here is the original photo, by the way...

I definitely prefer the photo I posted above to this (below) original photo.

But what is your preference?

Paul
Attached Images

Old Dec 22, 2007, 3:28 PM   #3

Hi, Paul! Happy to see you again with yourgenerousfeedbacks and inspiring images: ) I'd prefer #1 providing you blur the plants atforeground for some 3D look and to prevent them from the possibility of distracting from the seagulls!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:45 AM   #4

Nice shots Paul, i also perfer #1 the seagulls add a nice touch to the picture, Merry Xmas my friend
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 5:18 AM   #5

The 1st one the seagulls does alot for this picture. Merry Xmas Paul.

Gisli.
Gisli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 7:28 AM   #6

It's great to have such kind feedback by 3 respected master photographers, thanks guys!

Bahadir,

I'll either have to do some editing when I have more time or try another take at that location at a lower f-stop. Thanks for your suggestion / idea.

-------------

Hercules,

Your kind comments are much appreciated. Glad the seagulls fit well in your opinion too. Have a great Christmas and a fantastic 2008.

-------------

Gisli,

Thanks for your feedback also. I appreciate you taking the time to look and write. Have a great Christmas and hope the dark short days up there will be pleasant for you.

Regards,

Paul

Old Dec 24, 2007, 10:43 PM   #7

i vote for number 1 as well, Paul. the seagulls add visual interest and a sense of movement that is missing in the orginal, as well as another horizontal element to reinforce the theme.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:58 AM   #8

Hi Squirl,

Thanks for your kind words on Christmas morning! Much appreciated!

I've not been on the forums the last few days - so sorry my late reply. The weather has been so hot - I just love swimming in the nearby sea (10 minutes drive away) when the temperature has been between 40 and 43 degrees Celsius where I live (that's about 105 to 110 degrees Fahrenheit for those who don't use metric).

Yes, as you write - the sense of movement is conveyed stronger with the seagulls in the first photo I posted, compared to the original (second posted one).

And I'd say a extra subtle theme of "following" (small boat following larger one, the gulls all following the "lead gull") also can be read into the 1st posted photo too.

Regards. Enjoy your snow! :G Sorry... I'm not trying to be mean, and I DO realise some people prefer snow to sand at Christmas / New Year's time!

Paul