Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:02 AM   #11

musket wrote:
Quote:
pj1974 wrote:

I don't know what the safe limits are for exposure of direct sunlight

the camera manufacturers should give some guidelines to prevent

sensor damage. I think Nikon included protection in their latest firmware

releases so that if the camera thinks the scene and settings might

damage the camera, the camera will refuse to shot the scene..........musket.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts again, Musket! Much appreciated.

I certainly won't be TRYING to damage my camera by going to manual mode and shooting a 30 second exposure right into the sun!! So far my camera has taken many "sun" shots, I would say probably all of them on AV (aperture priority) mode, and it seems to do well. Occassionally shooting sunsets I set the EV (exposure compensation) to -1 or -1.5 or -2 to accentuate darkness in the sky colour....

I can't recall reading anything in my Canon 350D's manual about it (and I'm too lazy just now to look)... but I think if there were a real issue, it would be covered.

All has gone well so far.... thanks again.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:15 PM   #12

Great shots Paul beautiful warm colors 3. onemy fav. I have shoot alot straight in to the sun and never had any problems (yet):roll:

Gisli
Gisli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:31 PM   #13

Great shots, really liked the first one best but they are all good.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 8:38 AM   #14

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
It is so interesting what you wrote about photo 3, that the couple and the sailboat contribute to the composition of that shot. Both my parents (who are not "photo experts" but who DO enjoy looking at photos) as well as my wife all commented that they think the couple and the boat are "well positioned" or "add lots of interest" to the photo.
Actually a genuine fresh lookmight work better than thatthat of a mind prejudiced by half knowledge! This is why I sometimes addressmydad's, mom's, daughter's ( or even!!wife's :G ) liking..Ah,'blessed are your eyes, for they see and your ears, for they hear...' I would even echo : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:28 AM   #15

Paul, all 3 are great shots with very good composition and color, nice work
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 7:21 AM   #16

Hello Gisli,

Thanks for your valued comments. I'm honoured you appreciate the warm colours, and particularly appreciate photo 3! I'm also glad to hear you have not had troubles by "safely" shooting into the sun. Thanks.

---------

Calicajun,

I appreciate your valued comments and thanks for looking. Actually, the more I look at photo 1, the more I am thankful at the timing I managed to capture things together. Cheers!

-----------

Bahadir,

Your wise words and thoughts are insightful as usual. Yes, I often appreciate hearing expressed views of those who are not "emotionally or technically" connected to "me" or "photography" (respectively) but who provide an honest viewer's thoughts per se.

Thanks for the appropriate quote. May we always have hearts that are open and minds that are ready to learn and that we'd be ready to experience... and share! Good teaching indeed, my friend!

--------------

Hercules,

And also a big thanks to you! I'm glad you looked and appreciate the colour and composition of these photos. I have missed being online as much as I should. Your kind words are an apt persuation to be more involved again!

------------------

Thanks all.

Paul
Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:54 AM   #17

Here is a photo I took a week after the first 3 photos... and approximately 7 minutes later.

I just thought I would add it - as it was another beautiful and unique sunset over the ocean..... this time from a different angle, with the same Glenelg beach Jetty in Adelaide.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Jan 26, 2008, 7:48 AM   #18

Just getting caught up here PJ. While your first 3 pics are great your last addition is dynamite. The colors are succulent to say the least. The water looks like it could be spooned into a bowl and eaten. Its interesting looking at the silhouettes of the people on the pier. Each has their own thoughts while we have ours looking at them. Good job you lucky SOB.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 4:19 PM   #19

Hi Bynx,

I really appreciate your insightful comments, and am glad that you especially enjoy the "succulent colours" of my last contribution. Indeed, the water is sweet! (though being the ocean, also has salt content!) :?

Yes, I've found that the silhouettes of people in such a scene can make a photo even more intriguing to the viewers, as each of us has our own interpretation of what the people on the jetty are doing / thinking, etc.

Happy sharing summer with you....

Paul
Old Jan 27, 2008, 4:54 PM   #20

Hi Paul, these are stunning. I really like #3 and also the last one you posted. It gave me warmth here in Kansas,USA. We are experiencing mid 60'stoday and tomorrow then it nose dives to the low 30's with a winter storm on it's way.
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote