Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 11, 2008, 6:15 AM   #21

That would be interesting to watch. I just find out from watching the history channel that a polargriz has been added to the bear species. 1/2 polar bear and 1/2 grizz.

wowow !! I think they should name it Pizzy
Majik_Imaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 12:37 PM   #22

Hi there, this is a really great photo-essay you have here, I enjoyed both the pictures and the stories in equal measure, nice one !

John.

John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 1:25 PM   #23

Thanks John ! I promise you lots more photographs and amazing text that will leave you .. .. wanting more, more, more !!

"Since mid May, we have 24 / 7 of sunlight, sit here 24/7 waiting.. .. .. wait, watch, look & listen. the wind is non stop. 30 below zero w/40 mph winds = 100 below zero !! Anything can happen out here, and usually does, in many unexpected ways. Yesterday Search & Rescue had to fly a rescue helicopter from Barrow - Point Hope to save all the people that were out on the ice. A huge piece of ice, cracked and broke many miles BEHIND the hunters and the women in the tent area. This means the lead opened much further and everyone is on the wrong side of the ice, floating out to sea.

Everyone was safely rescued, the day before, some hunters were paddling an umiaq, not too far from the edge of the ice, a huge piece of ice broke off, and sand down into the water, that same piece of ice surfaced right under that same umiaq, all 5 hutners were thrown into the frgidig waters. Good fortune, the nearby boats rescued all 5 hunters safely !! Luke Koonuk (whaing captain) lost his umiaq this year. it sank.

It is amazing what happens up here, when we are just trying to gather food. People can die !! Each whaling camp is identical everything in each camp is in the exact same place. No one is allowed to be on the left side of the boat. It took me a long time to under stand why they kept saying, don't go near the left side of the boat.always stay on the right side of the boat. If you are on the left side . animals can see you. At certain times of the month, women must leave the ice, A polar bear can smell blood, and stalk you. We do not every underestimate the unpredictable ways of this magnificent ferocious beast of prey.

We fly to anchorage or Fairbanks all over this state to visit and go shopping. Plane fares are way much too high. but everything in the Arctic is expensive. I am so tired of hearing all this complaining about the price of gasoline. It has been well over 5 dollar per gallon here in the village for years ! in the very early 1980's it was over three dollars a gallon !! Now how do you go hunting when you have no job ?

Arts & crafts are the main source of income for many families. Stay home and work very hard to create something to sell.

Old May 17, 2008, 3:47 AM   #24

Terrific, more! more! more! I say..........................musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 5:06 AM   #25

50 Below zero.. .. 25 mph winds.. puts that temp to 100 below with wind chill factores.. headed straight into that wind. it brutal. This is how these people obtain their food. The hard tough way. We wait.. .. for that whale to give itself over to the Captain of its choice. !!

The whale will always do the exact same thing for that captain every year.

This is very difficult to explain. And even more so for you to ever comprehend. These people are truly one with that whale. That whale has eyes and that whale can see, and hear, and smell. these whales have been migrating in these same waters for thousands of years. Whales can communicate with each other.

When so and so receives a whale. that whale will do something. for each particualr captain.

The whale will always match the personality of the Captain it gives it self over to. for instance. when so and so captain receives a whale. it will always hide. under the ice.

when another Captain receives his whale, that whale will always run.. south. or North depending on that captains personality.

It does not matter which year that Captain receives the whale. the actions of that whale with that captain are always the same. this is bizarre !

This is something that the world cannot comprehend or understand. Now let me take it a step further.

when that captain strikes that whale, some whales will make a big show of their gift to the captain.. and splash all over the place.

Other whales might act timid and give up right away to present their sacrifice to that captain.

whales are just like children. some are boastful, some are quiet and shy. some want to make a big show of their sacrifice to that captain.

some captains will never receive a whale because of their (bad) personality. (will not share with others etc). some how these animals know that and they avoid that captain.

Now here comes the most bizarre part. Each captain not only has a personality that the whale knows about. but the 'weather' will always MATCH that same captain year after year.

Irma Oktollik is explaining all of this to me. and she can see the look on my face of total disbelief. She laughs..

Watch she said.. this is Joes weather. WATCH what happens. .. .. when Joe gets a whale it is over very quickly. It will be close to the edge of the ice. that whale will give it up quckly. BUT.. .. she added.. ..(laughing) be ready.. for when that whale dies.. THEN THE WIND.. is going to come in a 100 miles an hour. The temperature will drop 100 degress.

this year it is warm (zero) This Is Joe's weather.

She knows. I do not believe one word she says. So I move my camera and tripod to the ice, in back of Joes crew. to watch and see if what she said would make any sense. A friend of mine Brad Parker flew from Boston to attend this hunt in 1983.

STUPID STUPID STUPID ME... we were up on the top of the ice pressure ridges playing chess... concentrating on the wrong thing.. I never heard or saw Joes Umiaq slip quietly into the water. I hear BOOM (exploding harpoon). I look up to see a dead whale in the water beside Joes' umiaq very close to the edge of the ice.. Just like Irma said. I was just about to get up to capture that image. when THAT WIND. .came screeaming in like a huricane. Everyone is running, for more clothes. Joe is standing up, with arms outstretched. SMILING !! HOW DID THAT woman call it so perfectly exactly.. two weeks before it ever did happen ???

this is something I will never understand.

sometimes. you just can't wait and you have to go to the bathroom, This is accomplished by finding a place, to hide, out of the wind. it is the most painful experience, I will just leave it at that. women must be very careful because no matter which part of the world you live in.. Men will be men. and everyone has BINOCULARS !

THESE WOMEN know all about that part, they must take extra precautions to find a suitable place.

But for this fellow how has just returned to see his crew departing south, gives out a big shout !! Hey wait for me !!!
Old May 20, 2008, 4:22 AM   #26

More great shots and interesting dialogue.....

I am curious about cosmetics, in other cultures women

use lipstick to enhance the lips but as eskimos rub noses

....is there a nose cosmetic they use?.............musket.
Old May 20, 2008, 5:13 AM   #27

NOSE RUBBING ?? IS A MYTH !

I have never seen people do it..makeup ?? nope ..

as a rule, Inupiaq women do not engage in such a vain habit !!

I have seen eyeliner. but not all the other stuph.. lipstick ? nope

chapstick is extremly popular, in many different flavors !!
Old May 22, 2008, 10:32 AM   #28

Majik_Imaje wrote:
Quote:
NOSE RUBBING ?? IS A MYTH !

I have never seen people do it..makeup ?? nope ..

as a rule, Inupiaq women do not engage in such a vain habit !!

I have seen eyeliner. but not all the other stuph.. lipstick ? nope

chapstick is extremly popular, in many different flavors !!
Ha ha!! i suppose silk stockings and hairdo's are out as well :-)........musket.
Old May 22, 2008, 12:33 PM   #29

ski pants and huge boots !!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 3:34 PM   #30

Majik_Imaje wrote:
Quote:
ski pants and huge boots !!
So long as it keeps them warm ha ha!............:-)............musket.