Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 11, 2008, 12:52 PM   #1

Hi folks, I'm back....finally!

Here's a recent image of the old signal post at the entrance to Bude harbour: the prevaling winds blow onto the shore here, so in days of old it was pretty common for ships to be wrecked on this coast. The signal post was used to mark the entrance to the harbour inlet - a difficult navigation even when you knew where you were going - and pretty much impossible if you didn't! As if that's not enough, the rumour is that the locals would place false lights along the coast hereto lure shipping in to be wrecked: so they could salvage from the wreckage.

Cheers all, John.

Attached Images

John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2008, 3:22 PM   #2

Hello John, where you been, what a great shot, really love the colour and composition. Keep them coming.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 8:27 PM   #3

Good apportionment of the spacebetween the sky and the foreground, with the former slightly larger than the latter. I was drawn to the sky first, which gave me an infinity feeling. I took the tower as a lighthouse that guides captains sailing. It signal the last reach of the land. Viewing the shot, I paid tributes to thosewho think big,who dream the impossible, especially to those who gave their lives in the course of these pursuits.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 3:23 AM   #4

Many thanks for the comments.

Alex: I'll try and post some more soon.... honest! :-)

John.
Old May 12, 2008, 7:05 AM   #5

Happy to see you again John withanotherinspiring photo of yours!

Standing by this rough coast with a history there, Iloved thefeeling ofthe salty wind coming fromthe blue horizon mygaze got stuck to
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 4:35 PM   #6

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

John Maddock wrote:
Quote:
Hi folks, I'm back....finally!

Here's a recent image of the old signal post at the entrance to Bude harbour: the prevaling winds blow onto the shore here, so in days of old it was pretty common for ships to be wrecked on this coast. The signal post was used to mark the entrance to the harbour inlet - a difficult navigation even when you knew where you were going - and pretty much impossible if you didn't! As if that's not enough, the rumour is that the locals would place false lights along the coast hereto lure shipping in to be wrecked: so they could salvage from the wreckage.

Cheers all, John.

Glad to see you. Quite the same at the Swedish West Coast. Great picture, John. Very good geometry. Wonderful. You've got a Hasselblad lens?

/T

Found this the other day

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 4:48 PM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Found this treasure chest last year

/T

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 6:28 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Hey John, great to see you back at Steve's, have you been doing anything interesting??

I always love seeing your photos as you do such a good job of capturing all of the places around here as if I ever go to any of them I can never do such a good job.

What are you shooting with now?

Hope you can get back to posting many more and inspire us all.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 4:17 AM   #9

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Mark: still using the same old point and shoot Kodak, not been up to anything too exciting unless you count playing the mandolin - it's been keeping me from the camera!

Torgny: Hasselblad lens? Ha! I wish! :-) Technically I believe the lens hasthe Zeiss name on it, but it's still a commodity point and shoot (and an aging 4MPixel one at that).

Cheers, John.

Old May 15, 2008, 4:40 AM   #10
Super Moderator

That's cool. Do you play in a band? Your work always goes to show that it's not the camera that makes the photo rather the person behind it.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote