Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 24, 2008, 9:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

This oak was split by a hurricane in 2004
I thought it was an interesting shot but, I had no idea how much I had captured.
The more I look at it the more I see hidden in the grain and shadows. I've turned it upside down and sideways and I see more and more every time I look at it. So far I can see many different birds and animals. Like a bear, a snake, two fighting lions, an eagle, squirrel, wolf, armadillo, the head of a huge Waxwing,
Even a mans head and some prehistoric beast! And much more. What can you find Hidden in this tree?
-John
Attached Images
 
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2008, 3:47 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Torgny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni
Posts: 10,042
Default



Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
This oak was split by a hurricane in 2004
I thought it was an interesting shot but, I had no idea how much I had captured.
The more I look at it the more I see hidden in the grain and shadows. I've turned it upside down and sideways and I see more and more every time I look at it. So far I can see many different birds and animals. Like a bear, a snake, two fighting lions, an eagle, squirrel, wolf, armadillo, the head of a huge Waxwing,
Even a mans head and some prehistoric beast! And much more. What can you find Hidden in this tree?
-John
Well, John. Nice capture on the old oak tree theme. They can be so old so it is more likely for them to have an interesting history.

Well, you have covered it well, but what I can see, I keep a secret. Why don't you invite us to post (old, oak or whatever) tree pictures

G'day. Sun day. Sorry, Sunday

Torgny




Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 9:48 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
snip
Well, John. Nice capture on the old oak tree theme. They can be so old so it is more likely for them to have an interesting history.

Well, you have covered it well, but what I can see, I keep a secret. Why don't you invite us to post (old, oak or whatever) tree pictures

G'day. Sun day. Sorry, Sunday

Torgny



well good morning Torgny!
OK, I'll let you keep your secret…:-)
I discovered that the pic I posted isn't the quality needed to copy and view at a larger size needed to really get a good view of all the detail in the grain but, you can still get a pretty good idea…
By all means, everyone is welcome to post there tree shots! I'd like to see them.
-John

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 4:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
So far I can see many different birds and animals. Like a bear, a snake, two fighting lions, an eagle, squirrel, wolf, armadillo, the head of a huge Waxwing,
Even a mans head and some prehistoric beast! And much more. What can you find Hidden in this tree?
Reflectingsth from the beholder perhaps, which could even takeFreudian interpretation!! Oh, on my part, I seethe face of asqueezed soulscreaming within the trunk :-)
Attached Images
 
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 4:49 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Torgny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni
Posts: 10,042
Default


Goldwinger,

here is an old oak tree. It is more than old. It is dead.


M. Python:

'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!


Attached Images
 
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 5:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Torgny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni
Posts: 10,042
Default


There is no doubt in my mind that the tree is dead. Wether it in this current state is able to push up some daisies, I don't know. I leave that to the natural scientists

Here is the full sketch


The Dead Parrot Sketch


The cast:
MR. PRALINE
John Cleese
SHOP OWNER
Michael Palin

The sketch:

A customer enters a pet shop.

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.
(The owner does not respond.)
Mr. Praline: 'Ello, Miss?
Owner: What do you mean "miss"?
Mr. Praline: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!
Owner: We're closin' for lunch.
Mr. Praline: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.
Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?
Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!
Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.
Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!
Mr. Praline: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.
Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!
Mr. Praline: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Polly Parrot! I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you if you show...
(owner hits the cage)
Owner: There, he moved!
Mr. Praline: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the cage!
Owner: I never!!
Mr. Praline: Yes, you did!
Owner: I never, never did anything...
Mr. Praline: (yelling and hitting the cage repeatedly) 'ELLO POLLY!!!!! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!
(Takes parrot out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)
Mr. Praline: Now that's what I call a dead parrot.
Owner: No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!
Mr. Praline: STUNNED?!?
Owner: Yeah! You stunned him, just as he was wakin' up! Norwegian Blues stun easily, major.
Mr. Praline: Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That parrot is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour ago, you assured me that its total lack of movement was due to it bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.
Owner: Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.
Mr. Praline: PININ' for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did he fall flat on his back the moment I got 'im home?
Owner: The Norwegian Blue prefers keepin' on it's back! Remarkable bird, id'nit, squire? Lovely plumage!
Mr. Praline: Look, I took the liberty of examining that parrot when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting on its perch in the first place was that it had been NAILED there.
(pause)
Owner: Well, o'course it was nailed there! If I hadn't nailed that bird down, it would have nuzzled up to those bars, bent 'em apart with its beak, and VOOM! Feeweeweewee!
Mr. Praline: "VOOM"?!? Mate, this bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!
Owner: No no! 'E's pining!
Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!
(pause)
Owner: Well, I'd better replace it, then. (he takes a quick peek behind the counter) Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh, we're right out of parrots.
Mr. Praline: I see. I see, I get the picture.
Owner: I got a slug.
(pause)
Mr. Praline: Pray, does it talk?
Owner: Nnnnot really.
Mr. Praline: WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!!???!!?
Owner: N-no, I guess not. (gets ashamed, looks at his feet)
Mr. Praline: Well.
(pause)
Owner: (quietly) D'you.... d'you want to come back to my place?
Mr. Praline: (looks around) Yeah, all right, sure.



Attached Images
 
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 3:30 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Alan T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 2,980
Default

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Tell me what you see…
Your image clearly shows an 'Ent'. Ents are venerable, ancient trees of the forests of Middle Earth, which rouse themselves and march in support the Hobbits and their allies in J.R.R.Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings' saga. They're a bit like me, and stay dormant indefinitely unless they get annoyed or are otherwise forcedto rouse themselves. Treebeard is the oldest living Ent.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ent

Here is one I found in the grounds of Fox Talbot's home at Lacock Abbey, Wiltshire, last September...



Attached Images
 
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 1:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
which could even takeFreudian interpretation!! Oh, on my part, I seethe face of asqueezed soulscreaming within the trunk :-)
Yes, I see what you mean Bahadir.

It is interesting how one's own perspective can influence the eyes of the beholder… I see more every time I study this picture



Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 1:53 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Goldwinger,

here is an old oak tree. It is more than old. It is dead.


M. Python:

'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!


yep, e's dead alright :lol::lol::lol: thats funny!
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 1:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Tell me what you see…
Your image clearly shows an 'Ent'. Ents are venerable, ancient trees of the forests of Middle Earth, which rouse themselves and march in support the Hobbits and their allies in J.R.R.Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings' saga. They're a bit like me, and stay dormant indefinitely unless they get annoyed or are otherwise forcedto rouse themselves. Treebeard is the oldest living Ent.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ent

Here is one I found in the grounds of Fox Talbot's home at Lacock Abbey, Wiltshire, last September...


Excellent Alan!

What would you guess is the diameter of that tree?

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:27 AM.