Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:07 PM   #11

I once heard a quote that went something like this. "I don't know anything about art but, I know what I like."

I like It!
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:18 PM   #12

Well put Goldwinger.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 2:47 AM   #13

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'm always very pleased when my photograph illicits a varied range of opinions, it great to hear the opinions of other excellent photographers.

After taking on board all these comments I have edited the shot by way of a slight reduction in saturation to see what you guys think.

Bahadir, I'm afraid I can't hsrpen my image any further as this would counteract the sneaky orton layers I included in the shot :-)

longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 3:05 AM   #14

The blue gondola covers and the red area in the bottom left now blend in better with the color levels of the rest of the photo. I think I prefer this to the original posting. What are the Orton layers? Is this more than just putting the photo through CS3 or Photomatix Pro?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 3:11 AM   #15

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
The blue gondola covers and the red area in the bottom left now blend in better with the color levels of the rest of the photo. I think I prefer this to the original posting. What are the Orton layers? Is this more than just putting the photo through CS3 or Photomatix Pro?
The Orton effect derives from a photographer called Michael Orton who developed a technique which processed an out of focus photo with a focused photo giving a surreal look to images.

The technique can be re-created in Photoshop, however I hasten to add that such a process is very dependant on the original image for best effect...
Old Jun 3, 2008, 3:30 AM   #16

longside1 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the comments guys, I'm always very pleased when my photograph illicits a varied range of opinions, it great to hear the opinions of other excellent photographers.

After taking on board all these comments I have edited the shot by way of a slight reduction in saturation to see what you guys think.

Bahadir, I'm afraid I can't hsrpen my image any further as this would counteract the sneaky orton layers I included in the shot :-)
Sincethis city has been associated with colours as in the works of Venetian painters, anevenly reduction of colours would be somehow riskythough it looks more natural now regarding the weather (which calls fora selective job). As for sharpening: Oh! Yes, I believe you can, my friend :GBtw,according to myhumble experimentingI witnessed that; as the number ofexposures increases, the further onesrequire longer exposure times which might be somehow problematic when shot handheld!Selecting the alignment according to the features in these cases has worked a little for me!

There's nothing wrong liking a picture or a statue!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 6:56 AM   #17

Bahadir,

I agree whole heartedly with teh selective desaturation, when I get home tonight I will do this. The current desaturated version was done using flickr as I don't have CS3 in the office ;-(

I also agree with regards camera shake, that's why I never go anywhere without my tripod!

Bahadir, I'm at home now and have just done the final edit of the shot taking on board your comments:

Old Jun 4, 2008, 2:41 AM   #18

Dear Matt,

That's the destiny of any work of art!Oncerelased from the artist's mind, it becomes the aesthetical object of someone else:-)Anyway,I'd call your final editeven an improvement over the previous one! My only concern was tofree the eye from getting stuck to one corner of the picture inducing it toexplorethroughoutthe depths of the scene...and now the eye wanders elsewhere : ) Ah, great works are the ones to ponder on, which I remember well from my painting days!

Well, I just thought if it would be possible to furtherleadthe perceptionturning round the corner (five to ten minutes' walk away!!)throughout the canalallowing apath of lightfromthe 'luminious canal'as well as attaining a slightly more dimension...You'll also notice a slight trimming from the topmeantfor a more practical reason of resizingthe file ; )That's just a suggestive sketch out of my appreciation foryourappealing work on which you'll decideway much better

Cheers!

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:07 AM   #19

Nice shot and HDR
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:42 AM   #20

Hi Longside: I think that image is just amazing: like the others I don't really see it as a photograph, but as an example of photo-art it's just awesome

Definitely a wall hanger, and one that will attract quite a bit of attention I suspect!

Keep up the good work, John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote