Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 1, 2008, 6:09 AM   #1

Hi guys,

Haven't made a post for ages.....it's nice to be back!

I hope you like the shot below.

Comments and critique more than welcome.

Visit my photoblog at:

http://www.imagespike.wordpress.com
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2008, 11:12 AM   #2

Maybe it's just me, but this looks more like a painting than a photograph.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 11:46 PM   #3

Its a bit over the top for a photograph, but for me its perfect as an HDR. Great job. Id hang it on my wall.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:45 AM   #4

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
Not sure whether you believe that to be a good or a bad thing!?

The way the shot was taken (9 exposure HDR) may be partly to blame, plus the PP, however the finished result is how I had envisaged it so on that front I'm happy!

Bynx: Glas you like the shot...yes it does have a place reserved on my wall!
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:13 AM   #5

To me Longside, HDR goes a tad beyond photography. While the results dont look exactly real but slightly surreal, the look achieved like you have here is, to me, slightly better than just a photograph. It makes me look closer and longer to try to figure out the magic of what Im looking at. Again great job on this one. By the way, Ive been to Venice many times and your image is how I seem to remember it too.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 9:32 AM   #6

longside1 wrote:
Quote:
Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
Not sure whether you believe that to be a good or a bad thing!?
Depends Icouldeven be regarded a painting ardent, though! Still,there remains a bit pp job, imo! Decreasing the saturation of yellows, for example, enabling the 'TAXI' sign less distracting anda bit 'thich' sharpening using the radius of 4.0 to makethe sightneater.You might as well increase the exposure just a tad and then clean the pp artefacts with a smart noise reduction.
Apart from myverbosity above:G, that's a inspiring image for me blowing the Renaissance enthusiasm within : )
Quote:
The way the shot was taken (9 exposure HDR) may be partly to blame, plus the PP, however the finished result is how I had envisaged it so on that front I'm happy!
With 1 step spacing of 9 exposures I knew your D300 was a HDR machine Still, at some occasions I witnessed that working with less images would yield evenneater results:?

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:18 AM   #7

As I've said before elsewhere, it's all a matter of personal taste. I like the photorealistic, and sometimes I like the painter-like artistic HDRs. Neither is necessarily automatically 'better' in my eyes. They're not directly comparable.

In this case the striking HDR speaks to me about my very limited experience of Venice. I've been twice, and both times I experienced extremes of unbearable heat, and viciously intense sunshine, and also fierce showers (as presaged here), resulting in cold, wet, uncomfortableclothing, just as if I'd been at home (where I'd have been better prepared). This artistic representation is a welcome antidote to the usual view of Venice.

However, as before, I'd like to see some of the photographic originals as well !

(I, and all my family will never forget your cows in a field one morning, longside1.)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:32 PM   #8

Fantastic shot! - although the sky is a little dark, it's still excellent.
Bigfootpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 3:26 PM   #9

Hey, its me again. I gotta say trying to analyze this photo is like trying to analyze the face of Sophia Loren. Each part on its own is not perfect. But all put together -- a marvel to look at. Sure the sky is dark, sure the blue is really blue and the taxi stand someone sees as too garish. But looking at your photo really makes me want to look more. Reminds me of Carravagio, I think. Its been a long time since I studied the masters. But there was a Venetian painter who did the canals etc whose work this photo reminds me of. And remember Longstreet, opinions are like rectums and most everyone has one.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:36 PM   #10

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Hey, its me again. I gotta say trying to analyze this photo is like trying to analyze the face of Sophia Loren...
Good comparison:-)Reading themembers' comments above IseeMatt'spicturehasattracted some of the attention itrichly deserved! Well, having followed his steep curve of knowledge and skills here (only partly!)inafew years I'm sureMattknows what he's doingin his work andwould be glad to hear varying opinions. After all, itisoftenkitsch works people with rectums (naturally):G find merely sweet, nice, good, and so on!!Thanks god, althoughone cannot discuss matters of taste,theycan always be improved (Gombrich*)! Ah, providing of course, prejudices could be put aside...
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote