Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:32 AM   #1

The following is a simplified map of the Hong Kong Island in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China.

http://www.hong-kong-travel.org/HongKongIsland.asp

Will take the opportunity here to show a series of shots taken on June 22 am about the outlook of Central. Shots were taken from across the Kowloon Peninsular on the other side of the Victoria Harbour as well as from Wan Chai on the Hong Kong Island.

From Kowloon Peninsular first.

They were playing Tai Chi on the podium floor of the Cultural Centre at the Harbour Front, Tsim Sha Tsui of the Kowloon Peninsular.

Attached Images

wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:37 AM   #2

Overlooking Central from the Cultural Centre. The torch-like sculpture is the Olympic torch.
Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:42 AM   #3

The International Finance Centre [http://www.ifc.com.hk/english/]

The ferry runs to and fro the Victoria Harbour.

Attached Images

Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:23 AM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

wk7leung wrote:

Quote:
The following is a simplified map of the Hong Kong Island in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China.

http://www.hong-kong-travel.org/HongKongIsland.asp

Will take the opportunity here to show a series of shots taken on June 22 am about the outlook of Central. Shots were taken from across the Kowloon Peninsular on the other side of the Victoria Harbour as well as from Wan Chai on the Hong Kong Island.

Peter,

Very impressive series, all three of them. Ambitiously presented. They give an outstanding picture (!) of Hong Kong, so different from my country. Not that this viewer has ever been there, but after looking at the pictures it feels like that.

Especially like all the pictures where you offer the viewer places to stand and take en even closer view. Stepping in to a picture demands a place to rest your feet. You have done so. Excellent

Thank you for doing all this work to present your Hong Kong

Torgny

Btw, what lense? Cannot figure it out. Seems like almost no distorsion at all

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:45 AM   #5

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Btw, what lense? Cannot figure it out. Seems like almost no distorsion at all
Thanks in the first place for giving such a favorable comment. The lens I used was the Nikkor DX18-200mm. I can't say it is a good lens as the range is too wide, thus sacrificing resolution and tonality; by the way, distortion is very great at the wide angle range. But, it is a very convenient lens. I like it also because it does away with the trouble of changing lenses for perspective, which brings the chance of dusting the CCD to the minimal.

To reduce distortion, I always remind myself not to tilt the lens.The following is a shot of minimal tilting. In the shot, the foreground has been extensively included with a view to ensuring a flat field of view for the objects being shot.

[Shot taken with C8400.]

Another way to avoid distortion is to be inthe same plane asthe objects being shot or tostand farther away as in the case of the following shot:

Again, thanks for viewing and the patience of reading.

Peter

Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:50 AM   #6

By the way, Torgny, I think this C8400 is really terrific. Its lens is excellent except for the noise problems itcarries. The shot by C8400 in the thread above this one is called the Marco Polo. Here is another shot of a signage of this hotel taken with the C8400.

Peter
Attached Images