Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 10, 2003, 3:15 PM   #11

Nice shots one and all. You would be surprised by how many lighthouse photographers there are out there. I'm one of them. My alter-ego is Lighthouse Joe - http://home.comcast.net/~lhjoes. I have been shooting lighthouses for about 2 years now and add to my website every chance I get.

If I may suggest 2 other sites to visit:

Lighthousing.net

and

Lighthousekeepers.com

Both sites have photography sections and links to many other Lighthouse Photo sites.

Enjoy.
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:22 AM   #12

Default Re: Lighthouses on Lake Superior (1)

Here are a few more lighthouses on Lake Superior.

Grand Island East Channel light, Grand Island, Michigan near Munising Established 1870, abandoned in 1913 after the Munising Front and Rear Range lights were built. This is one of the many lighthouses that need restoration. However, this light is on private property. [Camera: Nikon Coolpix 990]

The following is the Eagle Harbor light, one of the most photographed lighthouses on Keweenaw Peninsula of Upper Michigan. This lighthouse was established in 1851 and rebuilt 20 years later. It is still active. (Camera: Nikon D100 plus AFS 17-35 F2.8)

Keweenaw Waterway Lower Entrance Light, established in 1920, replacing the 1868 one. It is active. [Camera: Nikon Coolpix 5700]

Sand Point Light in Baraga. This light, established in 1878, is in the L'Anse Indian Reservation. It was replaced by a nearby skeletal steel light and is not active. This light is privately owned. [Camera: Nikon Coolpix 5700]

Huron Island light, West Huron Island, Michigan Established in 1868 on a 160-foot cliff on West Huron Island, 3 miles of shore[Camera: Nikon Coolpix 5700 at 280mm] NOTE: This light can only be shot at this angle. Its side views are difficult to take because the light is blocked by trees. Late morning and early afternoon in the summer would be the best timing.

Gull Rock light, 2 miles off the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula of Upper Michigan Established 1867 [Camera: Nikon D100 plus AFS 70-200 F2.8G VR at 200mm, F10 and 1/20 sec with VR set to active]. This light can only be accessed by boat and is hard to get close. It is one of the loneliest lighthouses on Lake Superior.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide[/quote]
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 1:56 AM   #13

Some very nice lighthouses there....and very well captured.
That last one looks very daring. I hope that it was shot during hightide...hehe.... otherwise I could imagine that floor cleaning would be effortless for the owner.
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 3:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundengineer
That last one looks very daring. I hope that it was shot during hightide...hehe.... otherwise I could imagine that floor cleaning would be effortless for the owner.
The late one was shot in very bad weather. It was raining, windy, and the lake water was so rough that the ship bounced anywhere between 1 foot to 3 feet. I had to use a VR lens to take that shot. In fact, the captain refused to get closer because of shallow and dangerous reef. That was the closet distance I can get in that day. During the winter, snow and ice may reach the door step. The keeper would be in the lighthouse between mid December and late February. So, when he is back in late winter or early springer, he would have some tough cleaning job to do. Fortunately, that lighthouse was closed long time ago. Next summer, I intend to visit the Stannard that can easily claim the title of the loneliest lighthouse IN Lake Superior. Of course, it can only be accessed by boat or by air. Will post my findings here if I could get some nice shots.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote