Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:50 AM   #11

autostitch software down sizes the pics so it can process them and isnt as clever as "man and eye", i use photoshop by hand (not automated stitch0 and file sizes are around 300 meg, when editing and 20 - 30 when saved as jpg compare to autostich programes where end result is often 1-2 megs.

the mountain range pic looks great.....little editing to make it more vivid would be great.........to small to see how good stitch is though

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:44 AM   #12

hercules, alan and Gary....wow I'm learning a lot just reading your back and forth talk here.

Gary there is a link previous to your comment that goes out to my smugmug page with a larger view of the pano. I will work at enhancing it a bit more. I am not on my laptop that has the photo but on my husband's at the moment. I think I am enjoying this pano thing, but not sure how to manuever one free hand like you are saying you do. I use PSE 6....

~Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:19 AM   #13

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
...autostitch software down sizes the pics...
Well my version 2.2 doesn't seem to do so very much, certainly not enough to worry me for viewing at full height on a 1024 pixel high monitor, or for 12-inch high prints.

I was recently working on a stitch for 'Landscape Photos' herethat was7 x 3072 pixel frames wide, with lots of overlap (around 30%), and 2 frames high (with huge overlap). It finishedup 11820x2520 pixels wide in the screen viewing version after cropping, and little of the detail has been lost. That file, saved as '90%' jpeg is 7336KB. I'm confident it'll look good as as a 55x12 print, if I can work out how to mount the 4 18x12 sheets which I can get printed at little cost. So far I've only done it as an overlappingpair of 18x6s.

It did take 9.5 hours to autostitchon my son's 5 year-old PC, and 19 minutes even on my wife's powerful Dell Inspiron laptop, our fastest machine. I think it's working with unchanged blocks of pixels.

I've used PixMaker Lite (now defunct as a free trial) as well, which requires lots of manual intervention. That works on screen with the whole frames, and I detect little loss of quality in Autostitch compared withthat.

Perhaps we should continue in the ''Panoramas' forum?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:45 AM   #14

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
...autostitch software down sizes the pics...
Well my version 2.2 doesn't seem to do so very much, certainly not enough to worry me for viewing at full height on a 1024 pixel high monitor, or for 12-inch high prints.

I was recently working on a stitch for 'Landscape Photos' herethat was7 x 3072 pixel frames wide, with lots of overlap (around 30%), and 2 frames high (with huge overlap). It finishedup 11820x2520 pixels wide in the screen viewing version after cropping, and little of the detail has been lost. That file, saved as '90%' jpeg is 7336KB. I'm confident it'll look good as as a 55x12 print, if I can work out how to mount the 4 18x12 sheets which I can get printed at little cost. So far I've only done it as an overlappingpair of 18x6s.

It did take 9.5 hours to autostitchon my son's 5 year-old PC, and 19 minutes even on my wife's powerful Dell Inspiron laptop, our fastest machine. I think it's working with unchanged blocks of pixels.

I've used PixMaker Lite (now defunct as a free trial) as well, which requires lots of manual intervention. That works on screen with the whole frames, and I detect little loss of quality in Autostitch compared withthat.

Perhaps we should continue in the ''Panoramas' forum?
Much discussion Alan......go ahead and move over to the Panoramas forum and I will keep an eye out over there for more.....
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:12 PM   #15

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:
....but here is just an example on CS3 and AutoStitch taken at my sons school....
I don't understand why the autostitch one seem less sharp to me (at this size). Did you set the 'scale' to 100% (so that most of your pixels are used), and the jpeg quality to a high value?

It's very clever of CS3 to use only one of the versions of the moving little girl, I agree. If you hadn't agreed with its choice of which frame to use, could you have overridden it? Or is it done by the order in which you present the images?

This would be usefully discussed with BillDrew, the guru of panoramas, in that forum!
Actually thanks for the setting use, i tried that and it did come out sharper but the little girl stayed the same, i took 3 shots from left to right and put them in that order
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:19 PM   #16

Okay....the blonde is coming out.....where do I find the panorama forum? There isn't one labeled that I can see???????
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:46 PM   #17

It's entertainingly located under 'software', somewhere near the bottom.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote