Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:05 AM   #1

You may remember my recent pictures of the unearthed houses in Sardis at Architectural Photos:http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=81

Now, just after a fifteen minutes' walkto the hillsideyou can see theruins ofa temple built aboutthe 4th Century BC, dedicated to the main goddess of Sardis (which was to becomeone of theSeven Churches of Revelation):Artemis (who still retains her cult throughout the world today!).As you can see, excavations aregoing on...Well I usually start from far to near but this time I started just at the heart ; ) Btw, all pictures are HDR!

Enjoy..

...again can't help but remember the following lines by Poe:

Here, where the dames of Rome their gilded hair
Waved to the wind, now wave the reed and thistle!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:00 AM   #2

Great series of shots and HDR........................musket.

ps. more on Artemis on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...mp;search_type=

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:32 AM   #3

Great shots Bahadir! I really like your 3rd photo
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 4:36 PM   #4

musket wrote:
Quote:
Great series of shots and HDR........................musket.

ps. more on Artemis on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...mp;search_type=

Thanksfor your appreciationand further documentary, my friend! Theone entitled 'Sardis'there isrecommended ; )

cmoy wrote:

Quote:
Great shots Bahadir! I really like your 3rd photo

Dear Chris, thank you for your kind feedback indicating also your preference : )

Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:30 PM   #5

Great shots and a wonderful set showing the Temple of Artemis and the acropolis behind the temple. I know little about the history inAsia Minor but I think the battle between Sardis and Syria must be a tragic one and had led to thethe fall of the temple. And I think the acropolis on thehill behind the temple must be with lots of ancient remains, too, as a result of the moving in of the Greeks and Romans to this region.Thanks for the sharing! Your sharingadds value to this place as a place of history and opportunities for monumental photography. Peter

By the way, did it take you a long time to get to this place from the place where you live?
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 2:03 AM   #6

Yes i remember your recent pictures my friend these are great shots but get excellent from 4 on up great job on the seven wonders of the ancient world arkadas
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:45 AM   #7

Fascinating series - love your work

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 4:35 AM   #8

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:
Great shots and a wonderful set showing the Temple of Artemis and the acropolis behind the temple. I know little about the history inAsia Minor but I think the battle between Sardis and Syria must be a tragic one and had led to thethe fall of the temple. And I think the acropolis on thehill behind the temple must be with lots of ancient remains, too, as a result of the moving in of the Greeks and Romans to this region.Thanks for the sharing! Your sharingadds value to this place as a place of history and opportunities for monumental photography. Peter

By the way, did it take you a long time to get to this place from the place where you live?
Thank you for your words of appreciation and interest, Peter : )

As a matter of fact the Temple of Artemis in Sardis was started two centuries earlier than the 4th Century BC. under the rule of Croesus. We know that he had also sponsored the Temple of Artemis in Ephesus, the largest temple of the ancient world and one of the seven wondersas well! Btw,could it be thatyou meant 'Cyrus (the Great)' the Persian empire not 'Syria', while referring to the tragic battle...(?)Well...Sardis preserved its importance during the reign of the Persian Empire asa regional capital of Anatolia. The Royal Road along which a virgin was claimed to walkcarrying a bowl of gold coins over her head!! stretched between Sardis and Susa about 2700km.The city was still important during thereign of Romansas well as that of Alexander's successors from whom the Romanstook over the control. During the course the temple undergone several restorations due to invasions and earthquakes but abondoned after the anti-paganism acts by the Byzantine emperor Thedosius IIin the 5th CenturyAD.

Actually Sardis is an hour's drive from my home in Izmir. Iposted my pictures ofits Gymnasium and ancient Synagogue seperately last year in Architectural Photos.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=81

...and the year before :-)

.................................................. .......................

Hercules wrote:

Quote:
Yes i remember your recent pictures my friend these are great shots but get excellent from 4 on up great job on the seven wonders of the ancient world arkadas

Happy to read your heartily comment arkadaş!

Actually #4 isthis year's retakewhich I could not quite fullfilled due to the dynamic range issue last year. You know, my friend, this issue matters much in the regions we live!

Btw, I shoud point out that theArtemis templein my post is the sisterof theone in Ephesus which is actually one of the Seven Wonders. Still it takes a few adults to joind their arms aroundthe pillars we see above : )

.................................................. ...

Bootneck3 wrote:

Quote:
Fred, thank you sooo much for the incentive! Glad to hear you enjoyed:-)

Old Aug 6, 2008, 5:38 AM   #9

bahadir wrote:
Quote:

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:

Thank you for your words of appreciation and interest, Peter : )

As a matter of fact the Temple of Artemis in Sardis was started two centuries earlier than the 4th Century BC. under the rule of Croesus. We know that he had also sponsored the Temple of Artemis in Ephesus, the largest temple of the ancient world and one of the seven wondersas well! Btw,could it be thatyou meant 'Cyrus (the Great)' the Persian empire not 'Syria', while referring to the tragic battle...(?)Well...Sardis preserved its importance during the reign of the Persian Empire asa regional capital of Anatolia. The Royal Road along which a virgin was claimed to walkcarrying a bowl of gold coins over her head!! stretched between Sardis and Susa about 2700km.The city was still important during thereign of Romansas well as that of Alexander's successors from whom the Romanstook over the control. During the course the temple undergone several restorations due to invasions and earthquakes but abondoned after the anti-paganism acts by the Byzantine emperor Thedosius IIin the 5th CenturyAD.

Actually Sardis is an hour's drive from my home in Izmir. Iposted my pictures ofits Gymnasium and ancient Synagogue seperately last year in Architectural Photos.

...and the year before :-)

.................................................. .......................

Hercules wrote:

Quote:

Happy to read your heartily comment arkadaş!

Actually #4 isthis year's retakewhich I could not quite fullfilled due to the dynamic range issue last year. You know, my friend, this issue matters much in the regions we live!

Btw, I shoud point out that theArtemis templein my post is the sisterof theone in Ephesus which is actually one of the Seven Wonders. Still it takes a few adults to joind their arms aroundthe pillars we see above : )

.................................................. ...

Bootneck3 wrote:

Quote:
Fred, thank you sooo much for the incentive! Glad to hear you enjoyed:-)

Yes a 120 year project started by Croesus of Lydia, ah all that picture needs now is a background HDR sky, nicely done my friend
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 7:44 AM   #10

Thanks Bahadir for the correction and information. Peter
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote