Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 7, 2008, 3:17 PM   #1

Well went to Athens for a few days bought me a new 450D then decided it's been since 1973 since I've been to the Acropolis, we took the metro and when we got there at 7:00 p.m they didn't let us in because they were closing at 7:30 p.m:evil: anyway i just snapped a couple shots from the bottom better than nothing till i go again the statues in the subway were found when they were digging underground and date back like 2500yrs B.C
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2008, 6:06 PM   #2

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

hercules wrote:

Quote:
Well went to Athens for a few days bought me a new 450D then decided it's been since 1973 since I've been to the Acropolis, we took the metro and when we got there at 7:00 p.m they didn't let us in because they were closing at 7:30 p.m:evil: anyway i just snapped a couple shots from the bottom better than nothing till i go again the statues in the subway were found when they were digging underground and date back like 2500yrs B.C
Hope you can go wide enough with the EF-S 10-22. The 450 is very responsive. Great "holistic" composition in picture number 1. The cello photo is a joy to see. Mediterranean light in the city

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 6:53 PM   #3

Wonderful shots hercules! I am sorry you didn't get to go in. I look forward to seeing your photos from your next visit!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 8:07 AM   #4

Quote:
we took the metro and when we got there at 7:00 p.m they didn't let us in because they were closing at 7:30 p.m:evil:
Oh, you're right to get nervous, my friend! How dare can they turn back the mighty hercules!!Perhaps your next visit there will match with mine : )... And then we both try to do justice to Pericles's wonderHowever,we should not ignore his great influence, beautiful and wise Aspasia...btw, there's a brookbeautifying Suşehri in the nortwest of Anatolia, where one of my parents comes from, by the name of Aspasia!!

As for dating the sculptures in your picture, theylook far moresophisticatedthan the known Korai and Kouros figures of the Archaic period and regarding theirsomehow 'baroque' bodymovemetsthey are Hellenistc or at most late Classical period examples which goes back to 4th or 5th century BC. Oh, please forgive my intervening for I taught such things for some years at university : )

It'smost thoughtful of you adding the cello player with the fitting dignified expression on his face...Oh, my daughter should seethat picture, too!

Cheers

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:08 AM   #5

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Gentlemen,
Valued Friends,

So the sculptures are from the one and only GOLDEN AGE? It is said that the old greeks walked into the future backwards, all the time having their eyes on the past golden age

Whereas we stupidly run forwards disregarding the past, destroying everything in our way, led by a cultureless super power. Talk about the blind leading the blind

After 600 AC nothing of real interest has happened, someone proposed once in a hallway of the Institution

/T

Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:43 AM   #6

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Gentlemen,
Valued Friends,

So the sculptures are from the one and only GOLDEN AGE? ...
Well, I don't see why such anexpressionshoud be necessary. I can as well talk about a golden agemore than10 thousands years agoin mesolithic periodreferring tosome very fine engravingsdemonstrating such a festive mood I could compare with the works of Henri Matisse:!:...We might as well go even earlier to appreciatesome unique works when art and magic was one...However, there are differences in styles, contents, means, etc. quite demonstrating the values, necessities,facilities as well asany progress or regressof their times. There's no doubt that the mood of a certain period is observable in its work of arts.There'sevenreason why the archaic smile on the earlier sculptures start to fade away and replace with a thoughtful expressiontowards the early classical period in this regard. So, dear friends; any reactive fast approach is easy enough to upside thedelicate understanding of such matters which have taken many and many lifetimes...

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:01 PM   #7

bhammitt wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful shots hercules! I am sorry you didn't get to go in. I look forward to seeing your photos from your next visit!

Bob
Thanks Bob for your interest, i will be sure to post when i have time to go again
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:15 PM   #8

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
we took the metro and when we got there at 7:00 p.m they didn't let us in because they were closing at 7:30 p.m:evil:
Oh, you're right to get nervous, my friend! How dare can they turn back the mighty hercules!!Perhaps your next visit there will match with mine : )... And then we both try to do justice to Pericles's wonderHowever,we should not ignore his great influence, beautiful and wise Aspasia...btw, there's a brookbeautifying Suşehri in the nortwest of Anatolia, where one of my parents comes from, by the name of Aspasia!!

As for dating the sculptures in your picture, theylook far moresophisticatedthan the known Korai and Kouros figures of the Archaic period and regarding theirsomehow 'baroque' bodymovemetsthey are Hellenistc or at most late Classical period examples which goes back to 4th or 5th century BC. Oh, please forgive my intervening for I taught such things for some years at university : )

It'smost thoughtful of you adding the cello player with the fitting dignified expression on his face...Oh, my daughter should seethat picture, too!

Cheers

Thanks for your kind words my friend, yes the statues probably date back to 4th or 5th century BC. it's thrilling to see what they find underground thats been there for thousands of years arkadas in both our countries oh and here is the last time i was up at the Acropolis 1973 me at left with my Mom and older brother, i don't remember it though:G
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:19 PM   #9

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:

Quote:
Hope you can go wide enough with the EF-S 10-22. The 450 is very responsive. Great "holistic" composition in picture number 1. The cello photo is a joy to see. Mediterranean light in the city

Torgny

Thanks Torgny i really like the 450D very good camera they were shot with the 17-85 lens, but when i get a chance to go up there i will put the 10-22 on for sure
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:40 PM   #10

bahadir wrote:

Quote:
Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Gentlemen,
Valued Friends,

So the sculptures are from the one and only GOLDEN AGE? ...
Well, I don't see why such anexpressionshoud be necessary. I can as well talk about a golden agemore than10 thousands years agoin mesolithic periodreferring tosome very fine engravingsdemonstrating such a festive mood I could compare with the works of Henri Matisse:!:...We might as well go even earlier to appreciatesome unique works when art and magic was one...However, there are differences in styles, contents, means, etc. quite demonstrating the values, necessities,facilities as well asany progress or regressof their times. There's no doubt that the mood of a certain period is observable in its work of arts.There'sevenreason why the archaic smile on the earlier sculptures start to fade away and replace with a thoughtful expressiontowards the early classical period in this regard. So, dear friends; any reactive fast approach is easy enough to upside thedelicate understanding of such matters which have taken many and many lifetimes...

Yes, that must be a more fruitful approach, upheld by "modern" ("postmodern") historians

/T