Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:06 PM   #1

when the weather's nice, there are few places more scenic and enjoyable for hiking than the Cascade Mountains of Washington. the going can be rugged, but the awesome views, the jewel-like lakes, and the incredible feeling of simply enjoying the fresh mountain air and being outdoors are well worth the effort...

Mt. Shuksan, seen from Artist Ridge trail...

Bagley Lakes, from the Fire and Ice trail just above the Mt. Baker ski area...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:49 PM   #2

Nice!!

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 9:55 PM   #3

Yes, as A.C. said, "nice" and more.

These are reminders for me that resurrect aged memories from adventures during my youthful years.

In the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex of Texas we don't have (m)any mountains, but I've my memories.

Thanks,

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 3:45 PM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

squirl033 wrote:

Quote:
when the weather's nice, there are few places more scenic and enjoyable for hiking than the Cascade Mountains of Washington. the going can be rugged, but the awesome views, the jewel-like lakes, and the incredible feeling of simply enjoying the fresh mountain air and being outdoors are well worth the effort...

Oh, beautiful. Breathtaking. Very good detail in shadow areas. Do we have to buy a Fuji S5 Pro to get that dynamic range

How long would it take to reach the summit

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:25 PM   #5

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:

Quote:

Oh, beautiful. Breathtaking. Very good detail in shadow areas. Do we have to buy a Fuji S5 Pro to get that dynamic range

Torgny
Torgny,

these were taken with a Canon 40D, not a Fuji, and processed in Photomatix...
i'm not sure how long to reach the summit of Mt. Shuksan, the Artist Ridge trail i was on didn't go there... it's only about a mile out to the end, where you can see for miles, with panoramic views of Mt. Shuksan, Mt. Baker, and Table Mountain. i've heard there are 9 separate routes up Mt. Shuksan, ranging from easy, for novice mountaneers, to extremely difficult ascents via rock faces and icefalls that challenge even the best climbers. my climbing days are long past, so i just take the gentle hikes to places where i can admire the views... :G

Old Oct 3, 2008, 3:47 AM   #6

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Torgny wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:

Quote:

Torgny
Torgny,

these were taken with a Canon 40D, not a Fuji, and processed in Photomatix...
i'm not sure how long to reach the summit of Mt. Shuksan, the Artist Ridge trail i was on didn't go there... it's only about a mile out to the end, where you can see for miles, with panoramic views of Mt. Shuksan, Mt. Baker, and Table Mountain. i've heard there are 9 separate routes up Mt. Shuksan, ranging from easy, for novice mountaneers, to extremely difficult ascents via rock faces and icefalls that challenge even the best climbers. my climbing days are long past, so i just take the gentle hikes to places where i can admire the views... :G
Yes, I know that you, as well as I, do use Canon cameras. The 40D has a highlight priority mode that seems rather pointless, to me anyhow. Do you get any help in high contrast pictures

I've been teaching some heavy computer software, but the Photomatix seems to be over my level, at the moment anyhow

I mentioned the S5 Pro because of the superior sensor that is capable of "making HDR:s" right out of the camera

By the way, what are yous thoughts on the new 50D and the new 5D mark ll

Excellent picture with the exact "shadow blues"

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 9:29 AM   #7

Well... thanks tothe tasteful composition (always preceds!!); a photographer's dream as well, which has already been accomphished

Do you also accept cameras to be tamed ? :G

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:37 AM   #8

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I know that you, as well as I, do use Canon cameras. The 40D has a highlight priority mode that seems rather pointless, to me anyhow. Do you get any help in high contrast pictures

I've been teaching some heavy computer software, but the Photomatix seems to be over my level, at the moment anyhow

I mentioned the S5 Pro because of the superior sensor that is capable of "making HDR:s" right out of the camera

By the way, what are yous thoughts on the new 50D and the new 5D mark ll

Excellent picture with the exact "shadow blues"

Torgny
Torgny,

personally, i have no use for either the 50D or the 5D mkII. the 50D offers more megapixels on the same size sensor, hence potentially better for heavy cropping, but also has the potential for noise issues. i haven't seen any good examples of 50D images to judge, but based on the specs and what i've read so far, there's nothing there to persuade me to change from my 40D.

the 5D mkII is presented as a major step up from the 5D, but from what i've read on the forums, etc., the only real advantages are for some very specific uses. photojournalists may appreciate the video capability, but for me, it's a pointless addition. the live preview is useful for studio work, which is what many 5D users do, but for me, it's not important. the 21Mp sensor would be good for people who need to crop heavily, but there's some concern with pixel density, as well as whether the sensor outresolves the lenses that are available for it. in any case, i don't need to make prints the size of barn doors, so there's no reason for me to need that much resolution. there are some nice features... the auto-cleaning sensor is great, and the VGA-resolution LCD would be nice to have... but on the whole,there's nothingin the 5D mkII that makes me want to rush out and order one.

i am, however, planning to buyone of the original5D's once the prices start coming down a bit, as they will once the mkII hits the shelves and sales start taking off. the original 5D is still the gold standard for SLR image quality, and there's a great deal of debate as to whether the mkII will offer any improvement at all in that area. more pixels do not always mean better photos, and i think the mkII may be an example of Canonfalling victimto the megapixel-race mentality, offering more pixels but not necessarily improving image quality. we'll have to wait and see... meanwhile, i think it will be a long time before any DSLR surpasses the 5D in overall image quality by any significant margin.

Old Oct 5, 2008, 2:45 AM   #9

Very nice tasteful shots especially #2
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 6:20 PM   #10

mindblowing photos

robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote