Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 14, 2003, 3:41 PM   #1

Default An interesting little picture.....?

Part of me really likes it, part of me doesn't. All I know is it was a pain in the butt to try and shoot into the sun . (had to wade out into the water to get the lens out of the dirrect sunlight) :P
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2003, 5:38 PM   #2

Nice shot. You lead the viewers eyes towards the small waterfall. That's very well done. Good catch on that nice location.

But...

there's too long way to the interessting part - the waterfall. And maybe the shot has some kind of red tone ? The sky is all burned out and it could need some sharpening. The DOF could be better.

(Ruthless guy..huh!)

Do you agree in any parts ?
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 6:42 PM   #3

Hey TMMckay

Excellent effort esp being the water and shooting into the sun.

It seems like you take a lot of photos from the water

This may become your niche...esp in teaching workshops
later. Think about it!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 8:19 PM   #4

Excellent picture. Good work.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:39 PM   #5

Quote:
there's too long way to the interessting part - the waterfall. And maybe the shot has some kind of red tone ? The sky is all burned out and it could need some sharpening. The DOF could be better.

(Ruthless guy..huh!)

Do you agree in any parts ?
Yea I agree....with the ruthless part. :P Just kidding...

Yea I kinda wish I took a couple shots without the wide angle lens on the camera so the waterfall was a more domanate feature in the picture....but I also wanted to get as much of the rock formation/water as well as that little log/plant into the shot as possible. Hmmm.... All in all I just wish I took more pictures and tried some different angles/zooms.

You are right about the red tone to the picture. I think I will go back and have a retry at the editing. It was my first day out hiking/shooting while using the Hoya Intensifier (Enhancing) "didymium" filter which might account for some of the red tones being overdone. It seems to work great on the fall landscapes but I forgot to switch back to the polarized filter I usually shoot with.

The sky was the part that was extremely hard to shoot right. On this particular day there was not a single cloud in the sky, and I mean absolutely none. The sun was just behind the edge of the rock on the right hand side. I moved over as much as I safely could being that about 6" over the water depth dropped from the 10" or so I was in to about 3-4 feet. This is straight snow feed water, and being its fall here I didn't want to venture any deeper since I still had about a 3km hike to the car. :P

I was just checking the settings I used to take the shot and I lowered the F# down from what I usually shoot at for shots like these (and most of my pictures) from the usual F7-F8 down to F5, expossure was set to 1/25s and the shot was handheld....the f-stop might be what cause the depth of feild issue ( :? )...and I can see it as well. All honesty, I think I was a little dehydrated at this point or something or the cold water on the feet had a side effect on my brain. I usually like to take all my shots at F8 and to do so usually requires mounting on the tripod which I had with me at the time as well. :roll: Well there is always next time. Thanks for the suggestions and insight!

Thanks digcamfan! Not totally sure why I love to shoot anything with water in it. It seems all my favourite pictures and alot of what I take pictures of involves water in some way. The really weird part (at least I think so) is I have never seen the largest bodies of water.... being the ocean. Although that might change very soon. I ran into an old friend who was in town visiting family for thanksgiving who lives out in Victory, B.C. who also has recently taken up photography as a hobby. He's into the film end of it right now but I have an open invitation to come out there and visit. I think next spring when this year of school is completed I will make a trip out there! Your right though, I think water is my little niche.

Thanks gibsonpd3620!

Time to try a little editing (eck....software....not my strong suit :P) and see if I can improve the results a little.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:52 PM   #6

Recycling again as a JPG doesn’t help but I got some of the red out. Not much to do for the flare unless you want to clone some on the edge of the rock and replace the sky.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:55 PM   #7

Default Nice shot, Location???

Nice shot, Location???
msoe-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 1:42 AM   #8

The second one without the red cast already works much better for me!

Quote:
shoot at for shots like these (and most of my pictures) from the usual F7-F8 down to F5,
Especially a shot like this would benefit from a much smaller aperture as DOF would become better. things around the waterfall would be sharper!

Well, I seems that my critique got you thinking and maybe you'll have this in mind the next time you are confronting such a magnificient landscape :lol:
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 8:40 PM   #9

slipe, that looks better for sure! The original file is a 11.2mb tiff... I was playing around with it and it was fairly easy to balance the colours out. Shapening didn't really fix anything however.

msoe-chris, it was taken just below the lower Kananaskis lake in the river valley below the dam. The original river used to rip through that opening in what was im sure alot larger of a waterfall than what is present in my picture. I remembered hiking around this area when I was around 9-12years old on some camping trips with the family and hadn't been back till that day. Kinda like walking down memory lane.

Klaus DK, you definately have me thinking about that shot and how I could have improved it. I hope if the weather is nice this friday (no work and only 3 classes in the morning) I will make another trip/hike out that way to try some new and different ideas. I thank you for the suggestions!
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Shapening didn't really fix anything however.
A defogging sharpening on your image had a very noticeable effect. Try amount around 17 and radius around 180 in USM on the original image.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote